IGNORED

Engine oil

tomfromhull

I read somewhere here that diesel oil is OK to use in these engines. Is that 15W40? And is it true? I have a '99 Tour Deluxe and it's oil change time. I thought maybe 15-40 would get rid of the clutch whine seeing as it's thicker oil. If not, I plan to use synthetic. Bike has 31,000 miles on it. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom,

Go to the Tech Talk forum. You will find alot of info on oil there. Everybody has their own view. I use diesel oil (Rotella T synthetic 5-40) with very good results. Wal-Mart sells it at about $20 per gallon. Shifts better than the Mobil-1 I used before.

Check out the posts.

Fitz

I've using the Rottella T 15-40 in my wifes 99 TD. Seems to work just fine. I just bought an 07 RSV at the end of our riding season here in Michigan. I only put a little over 600 miles on it before winter hit, but I did drain the break-in oil out and went with the Rottella T 15-40 also. I'll know how it does when we go to Bike Week.

I use diesel oil (Rotella T synthetic 5-40) with very good results. Wal-Mart sells it at about $20 per gallon. Shifts better than the Mobil-1 I used before.

Fitz

I am curious how long Fitz you have been using the 5w40 syn oil, how many miles you have run it in the bike and what kinds of results you have seen with it.

I have used Rotella for Diesel 15w40 for long time and have thought about switching to the syn oil. I still have the usual whine using the Rotella 15w40.

David

David,

I have ran the Rotella T 5w40 since last May through 3 oil changes, about 13,000 miles. All types of riding--A trip from PA to South Dakota, 150 miles + per day travel for work, weekend jaunts and just tooling around town. The greatest benefit I have found is the shifting. Very crisp. No change in the tranny whine.

Fitz