IGNORED

Need Advice: Al. & Ga. resident members

okscooter

Planning a road trip from OKC to see my folks in Florida, fathers in a nursing home now, going to help mother.

Mom wants me to cleanout the garage and take everything with me so I'll be driving the truck.

Mapquest wants to route me a way I'm unfamilar with.

Can someone tell me how the road is on Rt.280 between Birmingham, Al. & Columbus, Ga.?

Then from Columbus, Ga. - Albany - Tifton?

What is the speed limits on these roads? Do you have to slow down thru ever town?

If I were riding a bike it would be my highway of choice but time is short.

Planning a road trip from OKC to see my folks in Florida, fathers in a nursing home now, going to help mother.

Mom wants me to cleanout the garage and take everything with me so I'll be driving the truck.

Mapquest wants to route me a way I'm unfamilar with.

Can someone tell me how the road is on Rt.280 between Birmingham, Al. & Columbus, Ga.?

Then from Columbus, Ga. - Albany - Tifton?

What is the speed limits on these roads? Do you have to slow down thru ever town?

If I were riding a bike it would be my highway of choice but time is short.

Cant speak of 280 from Birmingham to GA. I've used 280 from Opelika, AL into GA, but not all the way to Cordelle. The best route is 280 east to US 19 (south) at Americus, GA, to US 82 (east) at Albany to Tifton. Most of these roads are 4 lanes and a good, fast ride. CAUTION: US 280 passes through Ft. Benning, GA; this is a federal reservation and 280 is patrolled by military police. I was advised by a person who uses this route regularly to observe the posted speed limits.:)

where in fl are you going to? hwy 280E from I-459 to columbus,ga is a good road. several parts of it is 65mph, but there's several little towns along the way that runs radar, that y'all have to watch( harpersville, al is one check www.speedtraps.com ). if you come thru birminham and get on 280, the traffic is bad during rush hrs( 6-9 am & 4-7pm) you want to try and avoid these times. if you have time coming thru, give me a call and i'll try and meet you for coffee or? i have drove thru ga on 280 but can't remember how it is, but don't remember anything bad. hope this helps out, don.

Thanks for the quick response and advice. I wondered if I got off the main interstate if I'd hit small towns (speedtraps) etc. I used Mapquests build-a-route feature, did a couple comparisons. Last trip I took the OKC-Dallas-Shreveport-Lafayette, hug the coastline on I-10. Driving to the Gulf Coast side, Homosassa Springs, Fl. area. If I stick to my old route its 47 min. longer, 100 mile further, than mapquest suggested route. The worst part of the whole trip is the 18-20mpg truck X $3/gal. gas, Ouch.

What's the gas prices in the southeast now, paid $2.88 today.

Heck, I could probably fly down cheaper than driving, box stuff up and ship it cheaper than driving. Never thought I'd see that day.

Thanks for the quick response and advice.......................................................................................If I stick to my old route its 47 min. longer, 100 mile further, than mapquest suggested route. .................................................................................................... I could probably fly down cheaper than driving, box stuff up and ship it cheaper than driving. Never thought I'd see that day.

47 minutes longer and 100 miles further?!? No wonder you're worried about speed traps!!! :rotfl:

You could ride down (enjoying the trip), box stuff up, ship it back and ride home (enjoying the trip)!:confused24:

I've been making the drive you're talking about for years and I prefer I-65 to Montgomery, I-85 N (yes, North but at that point it runs due West) across Montgomery to Exit 9, Highway 271 to US231 South to Dothan and then I-10 E . . 231 is mostly 4 lane with decent speed limits and only a few small towns. Admittedly, Dothan is a pain but at least there is a so-called bypass. In 30 years of traveling back and forth, this is the fastest route I've found.

Safe trip

Lynn

I've been making the drive you're talking about for years and I prefer I-65 to Montgomery, I-85 N (yes, North but at that point it runs due West) across Montgomery to Exit 9, Highway 271 to US231 South to Dothan and then I-10 E . . 231 is mostly 4 lane with decent speed limits and only a few small towns. Admittedly, Dothan is a pain but at least there is a so-called bypass. In 30 years of traveling back and forth, this is the fastest route I've found.

Safe trip

Lynn

you must be a old trucker , i have drove just about every way you can get from okie land to here and the fastest way is what missionary rider said , it is the way truckers have been useing for years but if you want to do 80 + most of the way drop down to I-49 to I-20 than us 82 to 271 to 231 than I-10 and make a rite on I-75 .