IGNORED

2nd Gen questions

I am looking at a 2002 RSV, and will probably end up buying it, but I have a couple questions. Do the 2nd gen Ventures have air in the front and in the rear suspension if they do are they like my 86 standard meaning I have to use my pump to increase the air, and also are the brakes linked like the ones on my 86.

The 02 Venture I am looking at is real clean and appears to have been well looked after, plus the price is right, but I forgot to ask the owner those 2 questions.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Yes to some no to others.

The second gens do have air in the front forks and rear shock. They do not have an onboard compressor system, you can only adjust the pressure manually , recomneded practice is to use a hand pump with a zero loss chuck on it.

The factory recomended pressure for both front and rear systems is 0 psi, the max pressure for the front forks is 7 psi and the rear shock is 55 psi.

The brakes are not linked, the front and rear are seperate systems.

The second gen Ventures do have the air adjustable suspension. You have to manually add air to the front forks via two valves (one at the top of each fork) and to the rear shock via a valve on the right side just behind the rider's seat. A progressive low volume pump (never an air compressor) should be used to add the air. I believe the max in the front is seven pounds.

The brakes are not linked as they were in the 1st gens. They also do not have the on-board compressor of the 1st gens.

All that being said, I think you are going to love the '02.

Yes second gen Ventures have air adjustable shocks front and rear but the use of air is nor required. You put in the amount that makes you comfortable . Up to the maximum limits. 10lbs front' 50 rear. Use a hand pump not garage air.

The brakes are not linked.

Mike

Yes second gen Ventures have air adjustable shocks front and rear but the use of air is nor required. You put in the amount that makes you comfortable . Up to the maximum limits. 10lbs front' 50 rear. Use a hand pump not garage air.

The brakes are not linked.

Mike

NOT 10 in front. Only up to 7. I also believe the rear can go up to 57.

Guest tx2sturgis

Also, it depends on your weight and whether you carry a passenger often, but solo riders up to ABOUT 200 pounds probably wont need to add air to either end.

If you and/or a passenger takes it above that, you will probably be adding some air to the rear, maybe 10 or 15 PSI. I have never added air to the front, just one more way to blow fork seals on the potholes and such, and I prefer a softer ride up front.

Obviously, a heavy rider and or passenger, combined with a fully loaded trunk, saddlebags, and luggage rack, or a trailer, will mean that more air is better. I have run my rear airshock up to about 30 PSI with myself, a passenger, and pulling a loaded trailer, and it never bottomed out.

:happy34:

I have run 15 lbs in the fronts ever since I got mine in 2005. Never had any problems.

Owners manual says max 7psi on a 2nd Gen. If it works for you then so be it but just want to make sure others know what Yamaha says is max psi.