IGNORED

Touring Deluxe, happier with a 2007 then a 1997?

Beancrock

Greetings all,

I have been looking for a touring bike for some two up travel, but haven't been able to get on board with the v twin thing. I really like the look of the Touring Deluxe and am thinking about either a 1997 with 32K or an 07 with 15K.

Are there any big differences in performance or reliability I should know about?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Greetings all,

I have been looking for a touring bike for some two up travel, but haven't been able to get on board with the v twin thing. I really like the look of the Touring Deluxe and am thinking about either a 1997 with 32K or an 07 with 15K.

Are there any big differences in performance or reliability I should know about?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

one of the biggest things that i can think of is the 20+ HP more that the '07 has.

probably has better suspension...those would be what i would consider...

but, if driven by price can pick up a '97 for approx half of what the '07 cost

one of the biggest things that i can think of is the 20+ HP more that the '07 has.

probably has better suspension...those would be what i would consider...

but, if driven by price can pick up a '97 for approx half of what the '07 cost

Can't comment on the 97 I have an 09 with 27000 absolutely trouble free kilometers, including an 8k trip pulling a trailer. I upgraded to a Venture BECAUSE of how much I like the power and performance of these bikes, but, somehow the TD keeps sneaking out of the shed under me. Around town I like the TD. Longer trips I prefer the venture, but it really is a coin flip sometimes which one gets to leave the driveway.

:mustache:

The two replies above sum it up pretty good.

If it's price driven,,,,

A friend had a 97, all red and sold it for about $4000 a few months ago. Guessing the 07 is closer to $8k.

07 "might" have some warranty left if it was a late seller (say, sold in 09).

Both great bikes. But John did point out the differences for the RSTD's.

I think the 07 may have more wind protection. (but I might have to see a 97 again)

And, I have a 09 RSV (55K miles) and a 06 RSTD (98K miles).

On a daily basis, my comute is the RSTD. Same for solo day rides.

Distance trips and any two up. I ride the RSV.

I personally think the RSTD is more "fun" to ride.

There are no reliability issues on either model but the 07 will come with cruise control and the 97 wont. I put 35k on my 08 in 2 years. It is a great traveler and works well two up. My wife loved out RSTD and that's what she learned about motorcycles on. It was comfortable for her and she did not miss the radio or intercom. We rode it from Utah to Tennessee, north thru Idaho, Thru out the southwest. One hour or 10 it was a great ride. You can't go wrong with an 05-09 RSTD.

Thanks for the input. You are right on with the prices about 4500 for the 97 and 7800 for the 07. Cruise would be nice to have. I am also very glad to hear from the high millage owners. Sounds like longevity shouldn't be a problem.

Now I just need to see if I can get a test ride on one of these.

2007, 20 more ponies because of larger carbs and cruise control! Little more wind protection too with the lower fairing. Love my 06!!!

Almost bought a 98, glad I didn't. Price would be only thing to change my mind if I couldn't swing an 07.

I've owned several of both, The older are Lighter, I believe it's 50-70lbs and the ride is VERY different Much better suspension on later version air shocks vs non air shocks better seat wider handlebars. You will definitely will notice the difference in HP. There really is no difference in MPG either on all of them I've gotten 38-42 on average. Personally I LOVE THEM ALL and wish I could have one of each.

I like my 05 Tour Deluxe more every time I ride it. After owning a bike with cruise control there is no way I would own another one with out it. If you can afford the newer bike. I would recommend it. The cruise is a deal breaker for me now. Hope you stick around. Keep us posted.

I went from an 07 Suzuki Boulevard C50 to my 06 RSTD. I test drove the Venture, and although I loved it, it was a little top heavy for me at slower speeds. I absolutely love the RSTD. It is a great 2up bike and very comfortable to ride short and long distances. And on the nice evenings, you can pop off the windshield in 5 seconds and feel the wind.

Sent from my DROID4