IGNORED

Car Handeling ?

GolfVenture

When I put my brakes on (94 Saturn) , I can feel front wheel shake. It is not a warped rotor pulsation but a definate shake. I don't know enough about front alignment but it seems to track pretty straight with a slight to the left.

I was told maybe a tie rod. Is a tie rod something that should be done at a shop?

Open to suggestions? No not trading it in on a new car. :-).

Jack up the front end and place on jack stands. Then grab the tire and shake side to side and up to down. If you feel looseness, then it could be part of the suspension, bad bearings or if front wheel drive could be a bad front axle CV joint. If it is tight, I would look into the rotor being warped. I have had them warp pretty bad ..and fast. They don't make rotors like they used to.. Now leave the freakin car alone :no-no-no: and get back to working on the bike.... :happy65:

You can do the tie rod , can b a pain to break free but it is a simple enough task to get it close. Take an accurate measurement, disassemble and then reassemble to the same measurements. It will be good enough to get you to an alignment appointment .

check your wheel bearings and calipers to make sure you don't have a stuck piston.

you want to jack the front end up to get the weight off, grab all of your joints and check for play.

It really sounds like breaks though, if it was simple geometry and you would feel it increase in frequency with speed. It would be noticeable on a rougher surface.

Couple other things to add, Did you install the pads? did the pads slide easlily on the pins that go thru em? How were the bushings in the calipers. Most calipers are made to slide on pins and bushings (or some faximilie thereof) to equalize the pressure being placed on the rotor from the piston(s) pressing the pads against the rotor. If getting unequal pressure placed on it it will flex.. Another thing to check is the rotor surface - I have seen lots of them with hard spots in them - did you resurface the rotors? Another possibility could be tire related.. A belt slipped in a tire can surely cause brakes to feel funny and go undetected till it finally fails..

Puc

I would not rule out a rotor problem. If it only shakes when you apply the brakes I would pull the wheels and check the rotors. Sometimes the rotors will build up rust and distort the surface of the rotor. I have seen this many times.

Mark (headdoc)

I gotta go with the rotor to if you're only feeling it when applying the brakes.

Bad belt in a tire, depending on how bad would be more of a low speed wobble and a serious shake at higger speed.

Tie rod..... possible but with minor wear that seems to stabilize under braking due to the pressure applied.

Rotors these days are pretty much disposable. There is not enough meat to turn them out if there is a problem.