IGNORED

First Gen shaft maint

Guest Bigin

Hey Folks. Need a little advice. Have the wheels off my 89 for tires and am doing the related maintenance and lubrication, fuel filter etc. Question is, at 44k should I remove the drive shaft and take a look, at u joint, lube etc. I have searched this site, the internet and my manual and cannot find any factory recommended service interval, which tells me this is not an issue for an enclosed unit like this. Also what is the recomended service interval for the u-joint. I may be overlooking this info somewhere, but just don't seem to be able to find it at my age anymore, know what I mean?

At the Fwd End of the Drive shaft houseing, on the large Rubber Boot covering the U-Joint. There is a Drain hole on the bottom of the boot.

Check carefully, for signs of SAE-90 Leakage. IF you find this, then consider that the Oil Seal, at the Front end of the Pumpkin, where the rear of drive shaft mounts, might be leaking. IF So, only fix is to replace the Oil Seal. Only place to get it is order from Yamaha,

check the IPC to identify this part. Oil from pumking leaks into the drive shaft houseing, and drips out the fwd drain hole. This is not a real common problem, but it happened to my 89.

I had this problem on my 89 around 40K.

When reassembling the Axel, rotate it by hand, and find the point of least resistance, try to keep axel in this position as you torque the large nut. Retorque the 4 nuts holding the pumpkin, in place, and the Axel nut in 4 steps, and tap tap on the entire assembly with plastic mallet to relieve Stress, as you torque up the nuts.

As the other article says, be SURE, to remove the 3 cross bolts under the rear Shock assembly, and clean, and hand greese these 3 bolts.

YOu might find that they are worn and need to be replaced.

Also, consider installing Zerk Fittings, so in future its quick and easy to greese them. Also, the two short bolts at pivot points where shock assembly connects to the swing arm on each side. Remove these, and hand greese them.

Also, consider, removeing the Nuts on each side, at the Swing Arm Pivot point large bearings, and greese the bearings. This has probably never been done on your bike. You will need to buy an Metric Socket, and you will need a large Torque wrench to re install the nuts. I think its about 90 ft. lbs to re-install. Sorry but this will cost a few bucks, if you don't have the tools.

I put a Needle on my greese gun to shoot greese into these bearings.

This needle will also allow you to shoot greese into your wheel bearings.

At the top of the rear shock, there is one large bolt, you might try to get some penetrating lubricant into this pivot point, not real important, but can't hurt anything.

Note: With everything remove, its a good time to ReBleed your Rear, and left Fwd brake system, replace all the fluid, Why?? EASY ACCESS,now with the bags removed !!!

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Everything checked out ok. May put a bushing in that lower shock mount, slight play in it with no load on it, but swing arm is all nice and tight. Inserting drive shaft was not as difficult as heard it was. Third try it was in nicely. Thanks again.