IGNORED

05' venture amp install ??

I am trying to install an alpine 4 channel amp in my 05 rsv.

I was reading how to install an amp in the Tech section and am a little confused about the rear speakers.

In the tech article, if I'm reading it right, it says the rear speakers are running on the same channel. So if I'm thinking right I need to run new wires from each speaker to the seperate channels on the amp. Because, if I connect to the rear speaker wires where they exit the stereo I would be using only 3 channels? One each for the front speakers and one for the rear.

I am trying to install an alpine 4 channel amp in my 05 rsv.

I was reading how to install an amp in the Tech section and am a little confused about the rear speakers.

In the tech article, if I'm reading it right, it says the rear speakers are running on the same channel. So if I'm thinking right I need to run new wires from each speaker to the seperate channels on the amp. Because, if I connect to the rear speaker wires where they exit the stereo I would be using only 3 channels? One each for the front speakers and one for the rear.

The rear speakers are stereo, not mono.. I just recently installed an alpine 45W amp and just connecting the wires in the proper spot under the front fairing will do the trick.. no need to run new wires to the rear.. stereo front and rear. I hadn't had the time to do the wiring write up on it but do have my notes here.. If your stock wiring matches mine it should be an easy hook up. I'll see if I can dig up my notes and send you an email.. Been running the amp since early march and the sound is awesome.. ;)

Cheers

awesome thanks.....sounds like we're probably running the same amp.

Just out of curiosity where did you install your amp under the front fairing?

I've made brackets to install mine just below the stereo on that lower metal frame.

The rear speakers are stereo, not mono.. I just recently installed an alpine 45W amp and just connecting the wires in the proper spot under the front fairing will do the trick.. no need to run new wires to the rear.. stereo front and rear. I hadn't had the time to do the wiring write up on it but do have my notes here.. If your stock wiring matches mine it should be an easy hook up. I'll see if I can dig up my notes and send you an email.. Been running the amp since early march and the sound is awesome.. ;)

Cheers

If you would, I'd like a copy of that email. I have an amp sitting here but have been a bit apprehensive about doing the install and your notes along with the tech article may be enough for this electrical dummy.

What speakers you using ? I have Polks in all 4 corners.

If you would, I'd like a copy of that email. I have an amp sitting here but have been a bit apprehensive about doing the install and your notes along with the tech article may be enough for this electrical dummy.

What speakers you using ? I have Polks in all 4 corners.

I have the Polks 4 corners as well. The amp was rubber mounted under the radio unit and secured in place with simple zip ties.

I found the simple notes that might help get you started.. I was able to locate which of the wires actually ran to the rear speakers by use of a 9v battery and testing the wires until I heard a buzz in each of the rear speakers. The front ones are easy to locate since you can trace them from the speakers to the connector. Its in this same connector that you will find the rear speaker wires for the left and right side.

If your amp is similar to mine in function, you have the send the input signal from the radio to the amp and then out of the amp to the speakers. I ended up cutting the wires and jumping them to the amp wires to test it, and later this coming winter will be making them permanent connections.

This set up also affects the AUX signal so the GPS and MP3 player that gets plugged into the radio will also be amp'd...

In that connector, look for these wires (hopefully, your connector set up will be the same as mine..)

Speakers:

Front Left = white / yellow (look on speakers for which is pos and neg connector)

Front Right = orange / black (look on speakers for which is pos and neg connector)

Rear Left = red + / green -

Rear Right = blue + / brown -

you also have to set the GAIN on the amp to make it sound great and work properly.. When I first installed it and tested it, everytime I turned the volume dial the beep noise it makes was so loud as to be unbearable. Adjusting the gain resolved that issue and now the sound comes through loud and crisp.

You can test the 'stereo' of the rear speakers with various songs, I used Boney M's Night flight to Venus as it has a rolling drum sequence that goes from left to right.. fade the speakers to the rear ones only and voila, rolling drums as they should.. from left to right etc..

I connected the amp directly to the battery (with inline fuse) and it doesn't draw on the battery.. I left it sitting for a few weeks during the winter and metered the battery before and after without any significant voltage loss.

I hope this helps you out with your install process.

Cheers

thanks....we'll see how it goes. I'm finishing up the cassette deck to storage space mod and once I get that back into place I'll be able to start final installation of the amp. I am using the alpine sps-410 speakers.

I have the alpine amp in my 01 with pioneer speakers in the front and have alpine speakers in the rear and music is much clearer or cleaner and the bass is better not great but better. On the freeway I only need to turn it up to 13-15 my gain might be a little high but I have not split the fairing again to tweak it. It was worth the money to me for the amp and speakers.

Richie R

Seaking,

Did the amp improve the sound from the Polks ? Listening to my Polks and the stock speakers on my wifes trike, I have to say the stock speakers sound better to me un-amped.

Thanks for the helpful writeup .

When I first installed the Polks, the sound improvement was a wee bit better than OEM speakers when compared to another same type bike.. but not super great.

But with the amp installed, wow, now they come alive. Every once in a while I have to turn the volume down to figure out if a new sound I'm hearing is from the music or something coming from the bike. I like the added richness of the sounds coming out of the speakers and the add volume of noise.. The hum of semi trailers on the highway would drown out the music or worse cause me to miss an audio cue from the GPS but now the sound punches through all road noises from other vehicles.. You can still hear what's around you but it's not drowning out your audio system sounds like before..

Before installing the amp, I could raise the volume only so far before distortion would make it unbearable to listen to.. but now, by the time I get distortion, its way to loud for comfort to listen to anyway. So yeah, it's loud! And clear!

I've disconnected my CB system so I honestly couldn't tell you how it works with CB..

Apart from research I had to do to find the right wires, the installation only took a couple of hours and for me, was one of those well worth it mods..

warning to others trying this mod....different year models evidently have different color wiring. When I compared my wiring to "Seaking's", everything is different and we are only a year apart. I've had the same issues when wiring stuff in a car and looking on-line for color references. Be sure to verify the wiring on your bike before hooking it up.

Should get the wiring finished this week, can't wait to hear how it sounds. Any suggestions on setting amp gain? I searched on youtube and it looks like I may need a distortion cd...the amp manual mentions something about that as well. Or should I just go to a stereo shop?

I'm kinda hesitant to do the latter, cause I'd have to put the bike back together and then let a "car" stereo shop try to figure out how to dismantle my bike...my local stereo shop won't let customers in their work bay, but that's pretty much a requirement for me especially when I know they're not working on an everyday task.

warning to others trying this mod....different year models evidently have different color wiring. When I compared my wiring to "Seaking's", everything is different and we are only a year apart. I've had the same issues when wiring stuff in a car and looking on-line for color references. Be sure to verify the wiring on your bike before hooking it up.

Should get the wiring finished this week, can't wait to hear how it sounds. Any suggestions on setting amp gain? I searched on youtube and it looks like I may need a distortion cd...the amp manual mentions something about that as well. Or should I just go to a stereo shop?

I'm kinda hesitant to do the latter, cause I'd have to put the bike back together and then let a "car" stereo shop try to figure out how to dismantle my bike...my local stereo shop won't let customers in their work bay, but that's pretty much a requirement for me especially when I know they're not working on an everyday task.

A good warning to heed, as the book's wiring diagram did not match what I have in my harnesses. As mentioned, I was able to ascertain which wires were which by means of a 9v battery and touching the pos to the wires...

As for setting gain, I turned it all the way down, set the bike's volume to 21 and increased the gain until it started to distort... I had an audio installer show me that.. whether it be right or wrong, it works for me..

nother stupid question..... right is refernced by looking headon at the bike, or by sitting in the saddle?

also having trouble locating the wires from the rear headset side under the front fairing, the wires change colors somewhere along the route. how does your 9v battery trick work? i tried touching the remaining wires in the harness with a wire connected to a 9v but the speaker never once made a sound

nother stupid question..... right is refernced by looking headon at the bike, or by sitting in the saddle?

also having trouble locating the wires from the rear headset side under the front fairing, the wires change colors somewhere along the route. how does your 9v battery trick work? i tried touching the remaining wires in the harness with a wire connected to a 9v but the speaker never once made a sound

Referenced from sitting in the saddle.. clutch is on the left, front brake is on the right... car driver is on the left, screaming passenger is on the right..

Good question about the rear headset.. absolutely NO idea.. I don't use them so never tried, sorry.

you misunderstood my question....I just referenced the headset so you'd know which speaker I was referring to.....there are 4 wires that go from the left rear speaker box to an electrical connector under the rear seat. Two of the wires are for the speaker and two for the headset. The wires coming from the speaker are solid red and solid brown. They run into that connector and there are two other colors (don't have the bike in front of me), niether of those colors are at the connection to the radio in the front, so somewhere in the wiring harness the speaker wire colors change. I followed the harness all the way up to the battery, but then it gets lost in the bike. I just need a way to send a signal to the speaker so I can verify which wires on the harness actually run to that rear speaker, without having to trace the wires through the bike.

you misunderstood my question....I just referenced the headset so you'd know which speaker I was referring to.....there are 4 wires that go from the left rear speaker box to an electrical connector under the rear seat. Two of the wires are for the speaker and two for the headset. The wires coming from the speaker are solid red and solid brown. They run into that connector and there are two other colors (don't have the bike in front of me), niether of those colors are at the connection to the radio in the front, so somewhere in the wiring harness the speaker wire colors change. I followed the harness all the way up to the battery, but then it gets lost in the bike. I just need a way to send a signal to the speaker so I can verify which wires on the harness actually run to that rear speaker, without having to trace the wires through the bike.

I might be mis-understanding your question, so I apologize in advance..

If all you're trying to do is to connect the rear speakers to the amp, it's all done through the connector coming out of the radio controller under the front fairing, the same connector that the front speakers come out of... (one of the rectangle shaped white connectors that comes out of the radio unit)

I would only assume that if you plug in a headset to the rear passenger connector, you'd also get amplified sound, since the connection to the amp is done upstream (I'm only guessing at this, I've never gone that far with the install or able to test it..).

During the amp installation and hook up, there is never any need to go anywhere on the bike other than under the front fairing (except hooking up power to the amp..)

I hope some of this helps in your quest.. I've done about three installs like this so far and it works.. Best of luck.

lol, that is all I am trying to do......the only reason I mentioned the headset is so you'd know which rear speaker I was talking about. I have no intention of having the headset connected to the amp in any way. However, both sets of wires do run in the same harness together at least up to the battery.

I just have to figure out how to make sure I spice the right wire under the front fairing and there seems to be a wire color change somewhere between the front and back of the bike. I think I can check the wires with an OHM meter, but I was hoping I would be able to make the speakers crackle with that 9v battery, but couldn't figure out how.

EDIT: Got it....traced it down with an ohm meter, now all i gotta do is hook up power and ground and I'm done, thanks for all your help.

Edited by ericdg16
new info

lol, that is all I am trying to do......the only reason I mentioned the headset is so you'd know which rear speaker I was talking about. I have no intention of having the headset connected to the amp in any way. However, both sets of wires do run in the same harness together at least up to the battery.

I just have to figure out how to make sure I spice the right wire under the front fairing and there seems to be a wire color change somewhere between the front and back of the bike. I think I can check the wires with an OHM meter, but I was hoping I would be able to make the speakers crackle with that 9v battery, but couldn't figure out how.

Ok I follow you now.. what you ran into is why I used the 9v battery method to find the correct wires.. once the wires leave the connector and head to the rear of the bike, it's a mess.. Did you connect the - neg of the 9v battery to ground to close the circuit when testing the + pos on the wires?

Here's a pic of the connector I made the connections to.. Of the three bikes I installed the amp on, I think only one of them didn't match the wiring of the others..

• 2 weeks later...

got amp installed and sounds great thanks to everyone for the help.

However, I have a gremlin that I can't seem to find. While on my first ride after installation the stereo started making static. When it makes this static, there is a code that shows up on the top right of the radio screen that says "hx" or maybe "hk" it's hard to tell while riding, but when this code shows up with the static I cannot stop the sound.....the volume knob doesn't work, changing bands or to aux or cass doesn't work, only way to stop it is turn the bike off, or keep riding, it just cuts in and out.

The cassette player has been deleted and I have added the ext wire to plug in my iphone. Everything worked great in the driveway, and since the ride I have taken everything back apart, checked all my connections, played the radio while I shook everything, rubbed wires, disconnected antenna, anything I could think of, but I can't replicate the problem.

Any ideas??

• 10 months later...

Cheers

I would like a copy of that email also, if you wouldn't mind.

• 1 year later...

Hi Seaking, I read your reply to an earlier post. I'm trying to install the new clarin amp on my 2007 venture. If possible could you email me the diagram/instruction you have to install new amp. I was going to rewire every thing but sounds like you don't have to. I've been ready and looking at wirer diagrams and getting head ache, I'm not really good a sound system. It would be greatly appreciated. My email is

wanstett@comcast.net

Here's another thought I'm questioning: Has anyone added a separate power amp and simply taken the speaker outputs from our Yamaha amp and fed a secondary power amp to send more horsepower to the speakers? I know there are amps out that do this...and curious if anyone has done this mod to their 2nd gen scoots?

Here's another thought I'm questioning: Has anyone added a separate power amp and simply taken the speaker outputs from our Yamaha amp and fed a secondary power amp to send more horsepower to the speakers? I know there are amps out that do this...and curious if anyone has done this mod to their 2nd gen scoots?

It would probably just blow the speakers right? I felt lije on my 99 those new polks I put on couldn't handle much more wattage