IGNORED

clutch slave cylinder leakin

Hey Turtle,

Cheapest route for a kit, probalbly a K&L kit, would be on eBay for usually less than $25.00 bucks. Or the OEM Yamaha kit with the seal and the bore boot for less than $35.00.

But I'll say this up front. You're on an older bike. The slave may very well be the original.

Best bet to save time and trouble is remove the slave and closely inspect the bore before ordering a kit to rebuild.

If there is only minor pitting you may get away with a ball hone cleanup of the bore and be able to reseal. If it's worn badly the best route to doing it once is simply buy a new slave.

Been plenty of comment here in the past about failed slave rebuilds because the bore wasn't good enough. Many have had to do it twice.

I just went through this on my '84. I got lucky and got a honed core from a member and so far so good. The one I took off..... never would have cleaned up. It was shot. If the rebuild fails this time it gets a new one.

So the remove and inspect before deciding may save you a few bucks even if it costs some down time.

A new slave can be had for less than $130.00 depending on the supplier.

Don't forget the middle gear cover gasket and crush washer.

Mike

I rebuilt a slave I got from a member.The cylinder was clean with no pitting.I gave it a light honing to clean it up.I just picked up a motor with a good working slave.I might install that one first and see how it is.I have multiple clutch issues so I will have a weekend of experimentation. I have slipping and not complete clutch release.I will post my results.

It seems like every time I have gone to the local Yamaha shop here in the Seattle area If I can understand the words coming through the piercings goes something like this "Woah Dude your bike is older than I Am!, I don't think we have parts for that anymore" with that said where do you manage to find a NEW Clutch Slave Supplier? I Honed mine and sure enough...it LEAKS!

Thank You Cabrico! I will be ordering one!

I've ordered from them in the past (my entire fork rebuild) they are ok & ship fast.

As a footnote on rebuilding slave cyl one thing I found is that unless it is really bad (& I mean really bad) it's best not to hone it but to just use some 800 - 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper to clean it up & remove surface rust. I rebuilt mine 2 years ago (and it was leaking BAD) with a kit from Ebay & it is still going strong w/o issues.