IGNORED

#3 coil acting up

Hey guys,

Have been looking at changing out the coil

on right rear cylinder. Have an intermittent

miss on #3. Have already changed out the boot/

plug connector. Doesn't look like the coil bracket will clear thru the bottom and the top way looks very tight.

Looking for any advice or tech help on getting it out and back in for a clumsy fat fingered boy.

:confused24:

Being that the 2nd gen coils, have been a ----((( fairly high failure rate ))) --- item on these bikes !

And, the wires are " not " replaceable at the coil end, and that they are mounted in " Hard to Access " places on the bikes !!

I have been wondering about replaceing them with coils from a 1st Gen Venture, IF, that is possible. Will these coils work with the 2nd gen TCI Units ??? ( Just wondering )

Was thinking about mounting 1st gen coils, with upgraded, plug wires, and trying to figure out a more " accessible " place to mount them, both front and rear.

Obviously I would have to fabricate some wireing cables to reach the new mounting position's. But thats not to big a problem.

OR--- is there some other type of coils that would work ???

I recall sombody, mentioned useing " Plug over Coils " from some other 4 cylinder Japanese bike.

Just a thought, something I might do on my 08. :confused24::confused24:

Not 2nd Gen but uncannily I have the same intermittent misfire on my 1st Gen. I have narrowed it down to the rear right cylinder, when I take the lead off the plug, problem goes away.

I have,

• Replaced the plug>no change
  • Swapped out plug caps to narrow out the plug cap>no change

What should I do next? :confused07: Could it be the coil? How do I check it or as RSTDdog suggests, should I be looking for a fuel problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Well, 1st gen coils do fail. ( but not near as often as the 2nd gen coils )

To get them out, you have to pull out the air cleaner box. Makes it eaiser.

Also, 1st gen coils do come up quite often on E-bay, in a full set of 4. ( salvage

bikes )

Also, you can replace the plug wire on the 1st gen coils, they just screw out from the coil end and the plug cap end.

The plug wire is Solid Core Copper plug wire. ( standard 7MM auto plug wire )

Before replaceing the coil, try removeing the wire, and Cut off, about 1/4 inch on each end, and re-install. Might help.

Have you considered, that your Carbs may need to be Re-Synced ???? Serious misadmjustment of the Throttle linkage on these bikes, can cause one cylinder to not run correct.

Make sure you have at least 1/8 inch of Slack, in the Throttle " Pull " cable, before the mechanacial linkage starts to move as you turn throttle " OFF " idle position.

IF not--- you need to re-adjust the Throttle cables, and then do a Re-Sync, of the linkage assembly.

See, the Service Manuel for this proceedure, ( downloadable on this web site, if you do not have a service manuel )

answer to first post. Remove ais pump reach up over swing arm pivot. Two 10mm bolts hold #1 coils take out the bolts both coils will drop out from the bottom.Reverse order for install :080402gudl_prv:

Thanks, for this, did not know about removeing the AIS pumps, to get to the bolts for the coils, on 2nd gen. Was planning on doing that eventually anyway.

I'm still trying to find out if a 1st gen coil, can be used on the 2nd gen bikes ???

Anybody have any comment on that ??? :confused24: :confused24: