IGNORED

RSV Ignition Switch went bad 2nd in a week

Obber

My RSV MM had an ignition problem. so I ordered a new ignition switch, had it rekeyed by a locksmith, got it installed, put the bike back together. Tried to start it and nothing. Found one of the fuses on ignition relay had blown. replaced the fuse and bingo bike fired up. This was about a week ago. Went for a ride yesterday to the overlook at the Palo Duro Canyons. turned the bike off. Took in the scenery. Got on and bike fired up no problem. Got to the small town of Claude TX. Stopped at a convenience store to get a cold drink. Jump on the bike, turn the key, power came on for a fraction of a fraction of second and nothing. Checked all the fuses. ignition relay, left side cover, right side lower faring. I can't believe the ignition switch went out again, but it looks like that's the problem.Trying to figure out what would cause this. This is a new switch from Yamaha. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds very unusual. Are you sure it is the ignition switch again? Hopefully just a loose connector or something. It would take a very high current draw or a bad (burned) connector to cause the switch to go out again that quickly. Perhaps a problem with passing lights or some such thing. It is definitely time for an amp meter on the circuit.

Mike

My bike has done that twice and both times it was simply the battery connections were not making a good connection, took a few min to figure out the first time, second time I knew exactly what it was, used a wrench to make sure it was really tight. The PO had added some accessories with power coming off the battery thus more connectors getting in the way of making a good connections.

My RSV MM had an ignition problem. so I ordered a new ignition switch, had it rekeyed by a locksmith, got it installed, put the bike back together. Tried to start it and nothing. Found one of the fuses on ignition relay had blown. replaced the fuse and bingo bike fired up. This was about a week ago. Went for a ride yesterday to the overlook at the Palo Duro Canyons. turned the bike off. Took in the scenery. Got on and bike fired up no problem. Got to the small town of Claude TX. Stopped at a convenience store to get a cold drink. Jump on the bike, turn the key, power came on for a fraction of a fraction of second and nothing. Checked all the fuses. ignition relay, left side cover, right side lower faring. I can't believe the ignition switch went out again, but it looks like that's the problem.Trying to figure out what would cause this. This is a new switch from Yamaha. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Need some more details before i can come up with an answer....what exactly was that 'cold drink' that you had? :confused24::detective:

:beer:

As has been mentioned, checking the battery connections is a good start. Even more, try cleaning the connectors and the battery terminals before tightening them carefully. If you look in the tech section, you'll find a fix for a related problem - the main connector for the switch to harness connection can overheat and melt causing a short. This was beginning to happen on mine when the ignition switch died. I repaired the ignition switch and then replaced the connector wit a heavy duty flat type with 10 gauge wiring as well as putting relays on the driving lights, headlight and ignition. No problems since. One thing you can check after a longer ride is the ignition key's temperature. If it's almost too hot to hold, then you've definitely got too much power going through the switch and you should definitely look at relays and an auxiliary fuse block (Cuts down on the number of wires at the battery connection.)

Andy

Are you still in Claude?

I can stop by Thursday and pick you up in the sidecar...

:stickpoke:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I go to work at 4am so didn't see your post till today. Fortunately my Brother-in-law lives in Claude. Thanks for offering the ride. Would have be cool to ride in a sidecar. Never been in one.

Just went out to check the bike. Pulled the seat. Check the battery and low and behold the battery was totally dead. So now it looks like something is draining the battery. It started fine at the overlook at the Palo Duro Canyon. Showed no sign of the battery being slightly run down. 20 miles later it was dead. When I hook up the charger to the battery the needle on the charger jerks a little about every second. This could be from being totally run down. But when I disconnect the battery from the bike the needle stops the jerking. I replaced the starter relay a couple of years ago. Wonder if this could be going bad? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Charles

Just went out to check the bike. Pulled the seat. Check the battery and low and behold the battery was totally dead. So now it looks like something is draining the battery. It started fine at the overlook at the Palo Duro Canyon. Showed no sign of the battery being slightly run down. 20 miles later it was dead. When I hook up the charger to the battery the needle on the charger jerks a little about every second. This could be from being totally run down. But when I disconnect the battery from the bike the needle stops the jerking. I replaced the starter relay a couple of years ago. Wonder if this could be going bad? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Charles

Mine has done the same thing a couple of times over the last 3 weeks. I removed the starter relay and cleaned everything in the fuse box and then used plastic ties to hold the relay in place and I haven't had any issues for about a 1,000 miles. The main fuse was all gummy and such so I used steel wool and cleaned it up and also cleaned up the connections in the fuse box and so far so good. I also found a wire going into the left passing light that was worn through the insulation and I fixed that. Thought maybe it was grounding out and drawing down the battery. I ride a MM Also so good luck on fixing it. I also wondered if maybe the starter was going bad and drawing down the battery.

Hopefully I have finally got the bugs figured out. Could not get the battery to charge on 2, 6 or 10 amp. Took it back to Battery Plus and they put their little tester on it and showed 14.2 volt. Which is about what it should be. Then I said put a load on it. Bingo, didn't even have enough power to print out the readings from their machine. With it still within the year free replacement I now have a new battery. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that the Gremlins are gone.:fingers-crossed-emo Told the wife she needs to buy me a new Gremlin bell. The one I have is broke.