IGNORED

R6 calipers brake performance

Noticed that my right front brake caliper is leaking, so to make things easy I bought a set of low mileage R6 calipers of EBay.

After reading all the threads about conversions I am not completely sure if just the caliper upgrade improves the brake performance. I was not planning on de-linking the brakes, I kind of like the feature and use the pedal as primary brake quiet often.

So, what is different about the calipers? Area of brake pad and/or piston size? Any recommendations for brake pads, any particular compound?

Thanks in advance,

Klaus

I'm working on an adapter for the R1 Calipers to the RSV second gen. I have one done and I'm waiting for the second one that has a few corrections done. Once I get them completed and mounted and tested I'll let everyone know. This adapter is going to be for the 09 - 11 130mm mount 6 piston calipers.

Not sure you're going to get much better braking with the 4 piston R1 calipers over the 4 piston OEMs on your 89. There's a big improvement by swapping the forks from MKI's to MKII's and putting them on an 83-85. They are a plug and play on the MKII, and the blue dots do look cool :) You'd also be getting aprox 10-12 year newer calipers....

Not sure you're going to get much better braking with the 4 piston R1 calipers over the 4 piston OEMs on your 89. There's a big improvement by swapping the forks from MKI's to MKII's and putting them on an 83-85. They are a plug and play on the MKII, and the blue dots do look cool :) You'd also be getting aprox 10-12 year newer calipers....

That's what I figured, I guess I am just too lazy right now to rebuilt the original ones anyway. Also for the price for the R6 calipers, it's even hard to buy all the seals. Now I just need to find a reliable source for stainless lines, I tried a few and it's either back ordered or no longer available. Any leads?

Klaus