IGNORED

Well, I switched to a different class of bike

GG54172

I bought my first Venture, a 1984 1200 from Rhode Island around 2003, picked up a 1986 sometime in 2005. Picked up my green 2001 back in 2009. Well, Last weekend I traded my 2001 Venture for a 2008 Kawasaki Concours. I really liked the venture, I just wanted to ride something different. Extra 70hp doesn't hurt either. I will probably ride the concours for a season or two, and then sell. Maybe Yamaha will have added the 1800Vmax engine and a CD player to the Venture by then. :080402gudl_prv:

At any rate, been a fun ride, just time for something new.

I bought my first Venture, a 1984 1200 from Rhode Island around 2003, picked up a 1986 sometime in 2005. Picked up my green 2001 back in 2009. Well, Last weekend I traded my 2001 Venture for a 2008 Kawasaki Concours. I really liked the venture, I just wanted to ride something different. Extra 70hp doesn't hurt either. I will probably ride the concours for a season or two, and then sell. Maybe Yamaha will have added the 1800Vmax engine and a CD player to the Venture by then. At any rate, been a fun ride, just time for something new.

With these three Ventures that you have owned and rode (the 84, 86 and 01), I am interested in any comments that you might share regarding comparison's from your perspective. Just wondering. Not trying to start any debates. Hope you also enjoy your new ride!

Watch out for the difference in the braking systems. I am used to the integrated Venture system and have had a couple near misses on the Concourse. First was a sudden deer on a corner at 60 mpg. The secound was just stupid. The Venture spoiled me. The Concourse's rear tire will try to pass the front tire if you let it.

Just saying.

Iowa Guy

The Concourse is a really nice smooth bike, have ridden a friend's as we exchanged rides for one road trip together. My lady did NOT like the passenger accomodations (there are none) and was relieved to be back on the Venture. My friend did not like the big Yamaha as it was too heavy.

To each his own........I remember when the choices of road bikes were few, a Harley, BSA, Triumph.............ahhh....... now there are so many it boggles he mind.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

With these three Ventures that you have owned and rode (the 84, 86 and 01), I am interested in any comments that you might share regarding comparison's from your perspective. Just wondering. Not trying to start any debates. Hope you also enjoy your new ride!

I think the second gen was best all around. Sufficient power, easy to maintain, looked nice. THe forward controls were very comfortable. I like the handlebar mounted fairing the best.

My first detractor was the super soft seat (I weigh 350) and I squished it all the way to the seat pan. Second was fuel economy (mostly my fault:whistling:) I think it should be in the 40's, not upper thirties. Other than that, I burned through a lot of tires.

I didn't ride the 86 much, just noticed that while it was similar to the 84 in riding style it did not have the same power.

My concours reminds me a lot of the 84. Footpegs, more standard riding position, gear indicator, clock, etc. 84 was fun, but it was pretty well beat up by the time I got it.

I think the Ventures are great bikes. I will buy a third gen if they get rid of the tape deck and put the fuel injected 1800 motor in there. Give me between 110-140hp too

:fingers-crossed-emo I will be around.

I'd love to have a C14 but couldn't get rid of the RSTD. It'll just have to be an addition.

Anybody want to buy a really nice ZRX1100? :stirthepot:

I want a ZRX1100....Post a picture

Can you ride it out to Iowa?

Oh, and by the way, the 84 1200 was by FAR the fastest. 1300's didn't even compare.

Shhhh!! :whistling: 83-84 bout the same. Old antiques that won't fall out of a tree...:whistling::innocent:

Just keep them in the dark. They grow better..:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope you get a lot of smiles per miles out of the new one. Keep us posted. You know you can't get away!!

Guest tx2sturgis

My first detractor was the super soft seat (I weigh 350) and I squished it all the way to the seat pan.

The OEM seats on most bikes tend to be soft, due to the showroom sales factor, and the 'average' rider being probably about 180 pounds, or so the thinking goes.

I've had to have denser, closed-cell, seat foam installed in most of my touring bikes, for the same reason: the damn seat pan hurts after an hour or so of riding.

You might have to have this done on your Concours...weighing a bit over the 180 lb rider that they use for testing these things.

Either way, keep us posted about the bike.

Let us know how you like it.

Motorcycling is all about adventure!

:happy34:

This guy hit the nail right on the head. We ride CT90s, got a Honda Helix we put a few thousand miles on every year and than head out on the ol 83 Venture for cross country fun - they are ALL a riot!!!

I had a Kawasaki Voyager 2 a few years ago that I picked up CHEAP - the guy I bought it from caught the oil filter cover bolt on the edge of a trailer and literally yanked the filter housing bolt out of the engine with a two inch piece of casting out with the bolt. Left it sit for 20 years. Bought it, fixed it, rode it and found it way to confining for my taller body (he was 5-8 and I am 6-1). Anyway, that bike got 58 mpg!!!

Every since owning that Kawi I have been watching with extreme curiousity the Concours line and wondering what kind of fuel economy they get CG. I would really like to know what kind of mpg's you end up getting with your new bike CG.. Also, if you do happen to "tourerise" it with a rear trunk and or change the the risers so it sits more like one of us ol folk bikes PLEASE let us know..

I totally agree with you about hoping yammer takes that new V-max motor and builds a new venture around it - THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

Congrats on the new bike, enjoy it, stick around here and give us lots of ride reports as you do!! :cool10:

Puc

U do know the 2nd gen vmax takes hi test and gets about 26mpg avg to a hi of 33mpg actual. hense the many for sale with very low mileage.

Yes, but that's at 200hp. My new connie has a fuel economy display. At 150hp I can get into the low 20's pretty easily.

A venture ridden at 60mph with that motor (properly tuned of course) should do pretty nicely.

Guest tx2sturgis
U do know the 2nd gen vmax takes hi test and gets about 26mpg avg to a hi of 33mpg actual. hense the many for sale with very low mileage.

I bet it goes thru rear tires before 4000 miles too.

And them radials aint cheap!

Yes, but that's at 200hp. My new connie has a fuel economy display. At 150hp I can get into the low 20's pretty easily.

A venture ridden at 60mph with that motor (properly tuned of course) should do pretty nicely.

bring connie to the International rally!!

mike

I bet it goes thru rear tires before 4000 miles too.

And them radials aint cheap!

I'm at 21.5 mpg (US) Average through my 24000 kms on the '09 VMAX. Best Economy was 33.3 tooling around in a large Group, worst was 10 mpg at the Hockenheim Drag Strip. Rear Tires usually average at 6000 km. Fronts 8000 km. Depends on the Brand used, but always hard on the Throttle. 192 hp on the rear Tire, maybe a bit more since this Years Upgrades.