IGNORED

What's the best way to remove large decals...???

uncledj

I recently bought a van off of the company I work for.

It has high miles, but runs well, needs a little tlc, but it's a one ton Chevy, with a motor and tranny less than 50,000 miles old, with a ladder rack and all the tool / parts bins and shelves.

I got it for scrap price.....probably less than scrap price at $500.

In any case, part of the deal is that I have to remove all company decals and was wondering what's the quickest / best way to do it without damaging the paint.

It has a large stripe, a smaller stripe and the company lettering across both sides and the back.

I was thinking about using a heat gun, but am concerned I'll damage the paint. I think they're vinyl.

Any other ideas on how to remove these decals?:confused24:

I used to be in the sign business.

If the vinyl is not too old and brittle, a heat gun used gently, is the easiest way (think hair dryer setting)

If the graphic is old...more than 3-4 years .then I wouldn't worry too much about the paint.

you will be able to see the graphic outline once it is removed anyway because the covered paint will be brighter than the sun faded exposed paint.

There are tools you can get that are rotating rubber fingers ....and adhesive remover type products work well too.

Find an auto paint supply store.

They sell decal removers.

Basically it is a big round eraser that has an arborfor a drill motor.

They work great

Now why didn't someone tell me that when I had to remove all the decals off an inclosed trailer I picked up. I tried everything else.... Finally found a razor blade scrapper and WD40 made it easier. Still was a PITA.... :moon: And had the ghosts...

if the ghosts are really bad, you could wet sand then feather with top coat clear coat.

i did this with my daughters car after someone keyed both sides at college. When It was done you couldn't even tell and it cost me less than $200