IGNORED

We got a problem Houston.....

I parked my bike and the next day I used a Dremel to cut 3" off the top of the windshield. Now I fire it up, put it in gear and it dies. Like an interlock is in. The red warning light stays on. There is an icon showing on the dash. The upper left one- looks like a stick figure with a hockey stick. Apparently I'm too dumb to recognize it lol. Oh- the dash illumination lights aren't working either. They did 2 weeks ago.

I am.......clueless.

The "hockey stick" icon is your side stand warning light. Telling you the side stand is down. If you put it in gear with the side stand down it should stall.

Red light should also be flashing if side stand is down.

Your side stand switch could need cleaning.

OR.... when you cut the windshield perhaps you caused a bunch of vibrations in the dash.....check your connections.

Hmmmmmm I tested the switch and it appears to be working correctly. I disassembled the windshield/headlight/instrument cover and.......there are no wires corresponding to the colors coming off the switch. And it was a bear to pull the plugs out of the back of the computer monitor. No looseness there! I'll stare at the wiring diagram and try to figure out the routing and try to make sense of it.

Look at this thread for easier to read schematics.

The simplified version is the same wiring layout, but without all the connectors shown. It allows the complexity of the schematic to be reduced and easier to follow.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42358

The icon will light up when you lose the ground path on the Green/Blue wire, from the side stand switch to the CMU. If it is intermittent, it could be a dirty wire connection at one of two connectors, or it could be a failing side stand switch. There are two contacts in side stand switch, both are grounded with side stand retracted.

For a temporary test, you can unhook the connector coming from the side stand switch to the main harness, and tie together all three wires with a jumper on the harness side. This will bypass several safety circuits and should only be done as a test. If this eliminates your intermittent icon issue, you have then narrowed issue down to side stand or connector.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Thanks Dingy. I was incorrect when I said the switch was working correctly. The black wire (the ground?) has no continuity to either of the other wires. I had found the wiring diagram and see there is a relay in this circuit which is where the wires change colors. And from the wiring diagram it appears there cannot be any coorelation between the sidestand icon and the dash illumination lights. It must be a coincidence. And the fuse in the dash light circuit is not blown.

The switch is bad I'm sure. There is no connection to ground (the black wire) from either of the other 2. I wonder how it starts? I have looked at 4 different sites and no one has this switch available. I am tempted to cut off the connector and solder all the wires together and shrink wrap it. To hell with this interlock business. I rode bikes for 30+ years without it. What 'safety circuits' are we talking about anyway? Besides the sidestand one?