IGNORED

Looking for 2nd Gen BLACK Centerstand

hilliss

Dont want the Rivco chrome (and heard there were possible quality issues? and the price is high for me). But I am looking for an actual 2nd Gen stand, not a retrofit of a 1st gen stand. Did Yamaha even offer this... or anybody else out there track one down ?? Figure for my use, under the bike, I want black for the dirt and grime.

No, Yamaha never offered one. There have only been TWO companies that offered an aftermarket stand. Rivco and Diamond R. I don't think that Diamond R makes them any longer but they were supposed to be working on a new design. So...at this point...you can buy a Rivco or retrofit a first gen or do without. :)

Guest tx2sturgis

Couldnt you have your existing stand black powder-coated? Or maybe buy a replacement and have that one done, so you wouldnt be 'doing without'...that would suck...having to carry a milk crate like the dirt trackers!!

:rotf:

Don used to mod old 1st gen stands to fit the 2nd gen. A few folks have swapped them on the site too so someone might have one they're willing to part with. I have one that I don't keep on because my mount is bent and it doesn't have enough ground clearance when I corner. It goes on with 2 bolts when I need it though so I keep it around. I also have a 1st gen stand from my parts bike. If you want to try whatever the Mods are that Don does (assuming he doesn't already have one available for you) I'd be glad to give you a Venture Riders deal on it.

Guest tx2sturgis

Oh yep...I just went back and saw that...CENTERstand...sorry ...I was too busy listening to some babes singing on myspace...well ok then....

Ive only had a couple of bikes with centerstands...never quite understood why a shaft or belt drive bike needs one...unless ya wanna use it as a show stand at the local ride in...but whatever.

Still...you can always get a chrome stand and have it powder coated...I gotta ask tho, dont you find that they compromise cornering clearance, or ground clearance?

Maybe not...I had one on a sport/standard years ago, and it was great when I had to lube the chain...prop up the rear wheel, start the bike, engage 1st gear, and spray that goop on the running chain...then rev the engine in 2nd or 3rd and sling off the extra...

That was before I knew that chains suck. Well, unless were talking about a nice liitle gold chain placed strategically on a babe!...oh never mind...

:whistling:

Actually, when the bike is in the garage (as little as possible of course), the centerstand allows for easier storage (less space taken up with lean). Just a personal preference I guess.

I have not experienced any issues with getting any part of my RSV too low now during cornering, and the photos I have seen with center stands dont appear to compromise much. My Honda Valkyrie Interstate on the other hand, tended to want to corner a little lower (just felt like it could lean a little lower in the curves than my RSV)... and never had any issues with it either. So may be as simple as the way some of us drive as compared to others.

I heard back from Allen at Diamond R, and their stand is chrome... but about $70 less than the Rivco stand. So I could always paint it black if I cannot find anything else.