IGNORED

Side cover vent repair

1st post! I did a search for this with no luck. Has anyone been able to repair the side cover vent on a 1st Gen. VR?

I never have, but if you figure it out let us know. That's why they bring premium dollars when on eBay... Some have replaced the vent with a cover to fill the void.

Coincidentally, I have been contemplating that exact thing this week!

I've been pondering materials, techniques and out of the box ideas (Kydex, PVC, aluminum, brass, even wood mini blinds and house floor registers) but nothing yet. New OEM vents are still available from Yamaha but their price is out of my range ($143 EACH). The stock plastic is ABS and I did fix one louver that broke in two with ABS cement, but then another broke the little pivot arm and that piece is long gone.

It would be fairly easy to make a block off plate to replace the louvers, but I want to retain the capability to open or close the vent. I find the open vent a nice source of heat in chilly weather.

Good luck and keep us abreast of your findings and progress.

Oh, BTW, Welcome!

I picked up some ABS cement from the hardware store and used a very small common screwdriver as an applicator. I applied cement to both sides of each break and held them together until they bonded. The ABS cement I got is nice and tacky, so it set up quick. Then I put a little more cement on the screwdriver and smoothed it over the crack until the whole damaged area was covered in cement.

Thanks for the links, I had heard they were almost non existent. I have taken mine out and was planning on putting in clear lexan to show off engine and add in LED accent lights. Heat really hurts done here in south Texas.

Thanks for the links, I had heard they were almost non existent. I have taken mine out and was planning on putting in clear lexan to show off engine and add in LED accent lights. Heat really hurts done here in south Texas.

This is what I did and have yet to feel any discomfort from heat and when it is hot, I ride with shorts on. I know this bike pretty good as I have put 135,000 miles on it in 17 years.

RandyA

sure looks nice cut open that way. Good job.

Thanks. I tend to be a little anal about symmetry and if there is one thing 1st gen's do not have it is symmetry in the views of the engine. When I painted my bike, I also painted all the stock lowers but I have no plans to ever put them on.

I think it helps make the bike look more like a sport/touring bike.

RandyA

Thanks. I tend to be a little anal about symmetry and if there is one thing 1st gen's do not have it is symmetry in the views of the engine. When I painted my bike, I also painted all the stock lowers but I have no plans to ever put them on.

I think it helps make the bike look more like a sport/touring bike.

RandyA

I like that you can perform most of the routine service without disassembling the bike. I hate taking off the side panels as I have to remove the passenger floorboards and the back rest mounts

I like that you can perform most of the routine service without disassembling the bike. I hate taking off the side panels as I have to remove the passenger floorboards and the back rest mounts

This is true. I can unclip the side panels and remove the grills on each side of the radiator in a couple of minutes and have easy access to plugs and carbs.

The other thing is, I think the Venture engine is a beautiful engine and should be seen. That is one of the things I like about the 2nd gen.

RandyA

I don't follow.

I can remove my side covers without removing anything else.

Your passenger floorboards are not stock?

What backrest? I have/had a Markland backrest on my '90 and it didn't prevent side cover removal. Is yours a VentureLine backrest or Markland?

hey there i was at a truck stop the other day, and found some chrome vent covers for a peterbuilt that r same size as venture ones and r chrome which is a bonusso am getting two they were 25.00 each :cool10:

hey there i was at a truck stop the other day, and found some chrome vent covers for a peterbuilt that r same size as venture ones and r chrome which is a bonusso am getting two they were 25.00 each :cool10:

Really?! Cool! Some pics when you get them installed.