IGNORED

MKI Carb Rebuilt Kit

a1bummer

I've been looking through the posts all afternoon looking for what is needed for a complete carb rebuild on an MKI. So fsr it looks like there is no real complete rebuild kit specifically for the MKI. Diaphrams from SCI look like the best bet for those. Some have said the VMax rebuild kits share some of the same parts needed. Anybody have a list of what is needed to do a good rebuild of the MKI carbs? Gaskets, o-rings, floats, diaphragms, needle valves, etc.?

I just don't want to go ordering things that may not fit and waste money. Trying to take some of the guess work out of the picture. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

I've been looking through the posts all afternoon looking for what is needed for a complete carb rebuild on an MKI. So fsr it looks like there is no real complete rebuild kit specifically for the MKI. Diaphrams from SCI look like the best bet for those. Some have said the VMax rebuild kits share some of the same parts needed. Anybody have a list of what is needed to do a good rebuild of the MKI carbs? Gaskets, o-rings, floats, diaphragms, needle valves, etc.?

I just don't want to go ordering things that may not fit and waste money. Trying to take some of the guess work out of the picture. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

18-2879 K&L carb repair kit.

Has all the O-rings, fuel bowl gasket, jet Block & enricher body gasket & fuel needle valve & seat. Says it is for a VMax, but all parts in this kit work on 1st gens. I have used very similar K&L kit on Tweety, this one has the enricher gasket. I have four of this kit # in hand that are going in the RSV Hybrid.

Needle valve seat is generally not needed and you need a few other parts to actually replace seat.

Only saw one item on Ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vmax-CARBURETOR-REPAIR-KIT-carb-rebuild-set-vmx1200-85-07-K-and-Klein-KLY-31-/151018657385?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232969d669&vxp=mtr

I would suggest you also replace Pilot Jet #37.5 - 4G0-14142-37-A0, Cap - 22V-14968-00-00, Cap - 22U-14968-00-00 at a minimum also.

Gary

I don't have a list of part numbers but I'll say this. What I have not done yet that I should of have is the jet block gaskets, the rubber bungs in the bottom of the block and the decelerater (?) valves on each carb. (Sirius also)

If you need or want new floats the early V-Max floats are the same. About $125.00 for a set of four new when I got mine. If your are interested in a used set or just 1 or 2 PM me. I have a couple sets on hand. One set has been treated with airplane dope to seal them.

The fuel bowl 0-rings are good to replace. The needle and seat sets are a waste of money. Needles wear, seats not so much. If you find the proper needle only you're good to go. Don't worry about that net filter behind the needle seat. It's easy to clean out and a bunch of work to replace.

If you're picky..... have the bodies cleaned by ultrasonic. (Sirius also) If you're budget minded , you can boil the bodies on the stove top to break loose the crud. Next best thing to ultrasonic cleaning for idle circuits.

You have a grip on the Sirius diaphragms so you're looking good.

I never bought a V-Max kit so I can't say what's right and what isn't.

Well, between eBay, Sirius Consolidates Inc., and boast.net, I found everything listed above, except for floats, for a total of $310.05. I hope my floats are in good shape. Now its hurry up and wait.

I attached some screenshots with part numbers, prices, and where I found them if it help anybody else later down the road.

Thanks for ALL your input Guys!

Like I said on the floats if needed the '85 V-Max is the same float. 1FK-14985-00-00 is the new number for the 26H-14985-00-00 used on the Venture carbs.

All I got was a run around about them no longer being available for the Venture. Not quite true. Just had to look somewhere else.

Must have just passed ya in the hallway. Just left there double checking the #.

The floats in my '84 were shot when I got it. Took me a while to figure that out. They were so soft on the edges you could barely touch them with a fingernail and they would cut right in. The bike had been stored for 9 years so they had some issues. They would float.... for a while.... then start soaking up gas and sinking.

You can see the cuts in the pic. I had a spare set and treated them with airplane dope and they worked fine but went ahead and replaced them with new anyway. No problems since. New is nice. New is comforting. :rotf:

Well I got a set of carbs from Orlin last weekend so I can rebuild them and not lose out on any riding. My bike has still been running fairly good for the most part. Every now and then it will run on 3 cylinders. Then it will kick back in a while later. My mileage has gotten progressively worse little by little over the past few years. Average is about 36-37 mpg now. Was up in the low 40's. O a lazy afternoon on windy back roads, It was even better. Last time I checked the diaphragms were still okay. On last weekends ride with Ken and Orlin, I could feel the engine surge if I tried to stay at about 25 mph in second or 35 mph in third gear. It just feels like something isn't quite right in the carbs and it would try to clear up and then the engine would surge like I just gave it a bit more throttle. If I'm cruising the back roads, sometimes it feels like I'm heading into a high wind off and on. It just doesn't feels like the fuel isn't flowing as freely as it should.

Anything sound familiar?

Bill

• 1 month later...

Just what do those two rubber plugs in the jet block do? Are they just plugs or does the one with a hole in the bottom actually goes through to act like a vent? Mine look like they are just plugs and before I assemble my carbs I can cut some new ones on my lathe if thats all they are?

Just what do those two rubber plugs in the jet block do? Are they just plugs or does the one with a hole in the bottom actually goes through to act like a vent? Mine look like they are just plugs and before I assemble my carbs I can cut some new ones on my lathe if thats all they are?

They are just plugs. The VMax guys have pinpointed these as source of idle issues.

They are about $5 apiece, $50 for a carb rack with shipping. Not real cheap, but pulling a set of carbs and going through them again is a PIA.

Gary

Thanks Dingy, Considering their location I can see where if they were leaking they would cause problems. As long as they are just to seal off the access to the jets I'll make sure mine are tight or make new ones. Just have to find the K&L 18-2879 carb kits to start putting them back together.