IGNORED

Clutch basket install

I finally decided to install my new I basket and when I put the splined washer on it goes on pass the splines and just sits on the shaft. But everything else goes on and fits just fine, is it suppose to do that?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks Richie R

Well I put it all back together and took it for a spin and the chirp that the bike used to make was in every gear until the rpms were up like 63 on the speedo in 4 gear and a little over 50 in 3 gear. You get the idea now the sound is a much lower pitch and goes away at a lower rpm. Now I can drive in town in 2 gear and it's really quite and 3 gear the speed is now a little under 40 and 4 gear it is a little over 50.

The clutch basket I took out an H basket would that be normal for an 01?

I also did skydoc's upgrade but the clutch doesn't grab till almost the end of the travel of the clutch lever is that normal? It was much easier than I thought and the plates were in spec also.

So hopefully it will stay this quite that would be great.

Richie R

Yes, the (H) is correct for that year..

Also, please report back after lets say 500 miles

and let us know if the whine is starting to get a

bit louder. The (I) just brings it to a differant RPM range.

If you stay above 3200 RPM in any gear you wont hear it.

or at really low RPMS.

Jeff

The stock basket was very loud and the chirp was high pitched and drove both of us crazy after a 300 mile day. There was very little range to where it was quite and of coarse it was not at any decent speed, so hopefully this one will be better or a different bike maybe in the future.

So this may explain why back in 03 the bike only had 675 miles on it and 15,000 miles on it when I got it in the spring of 011.

Richie R

Yes, your correct,,, I went through (FIVE) baskets over the past 8 years or so

even tried going backwards on the Letters. I even went as far as changing out

to a second (I) basket a few years back and it seems to work better then my first one did.

Like I say if I keep the RPM's UP I do not hear it at all. When I first got the bike

And we rode it for a while We had blood coming out of our ear drums after a days

ride. :( all is good now. I also never use 5th gear anymore unless doing 70 +

Good luck and keep us posted as what you think after the 500 mile mark.

Jeff