IGNORED

Replacing starter

Put the bike on center stand.

Pull plastic (sides and around the front).

Disconnect battery

Empty Radiator ( big hex head on the right side of the engine.)

Remove Radiator and fan

Take the front right (standing on the bike) Exhaust pipe loose from head. Need this to access the back screw on the thermostat housing.

Remove thermostat , Two screws.

Take wire off the starter

Pull the two bolts holding the starter

Pull the starter and then reverse the steps.

Don’t forget to open the bypass when refilling the radiator. That is the Hex head on the tube in front of the engine under the radiator. You might want to replace the O -ring in the bypass while you are there. Turn it to on while filling the system and warming the engine then turn back to “ off “ after it is filled.

If I missed anything someone jump in.

Good luck, It will make a big difference in starting.

Put the bike on center stand.

Pull plastic (sides and around the front).

Disconnect battery

Empty Radiator ( big hex head on the right side of the engine.)

Remove Radiator and fan

Take the front right (standing on the bike) Exhaust pipe loose from head. Need this to access the back screw on the thermostat housing.

Remove thermostat , Two screws.

Take wire off the starter

Pull the two bolts holding the starter

Pull the starter and then reverse the steps.

Don’t forget to open the bypass when refilling the radiator. That is the Hex head on the tube in front of the engine under the radiator. You might want to replace the O -ring in the bypass while you are there. Turn it to on while filling the system and warming the engine then turn back to “ off “ after it is filled.

If I missed anything someone jump in.

Good luck, It will make a big difference in starting.

I don't think you need to remove the thermostat, or empty the rad. If memory serves me correct, the rad needs to be loosened and the exhaust pipe needs to be loosened to give enough room, but then it should work, it's tight but doable,,, I think.

I don't think you need to remove the thermostat, or empty the rad. If memory serves me correct, the rad needs to be loosened and the exhaust pipe needs to be loosened to give enough room, but then it should work, it's tight but doable,,, I think.

:sign yeah that:

The radiator does not have to come all of the way out. I am not completely sure on the right exhaust pipe or the t'stat housing since I did my starter "while I was in there" replacing the t'stat housing so the housing and right pipe were already off.

At the time I just did the ground mod to the starter. If my new Deka AGM and 4ga wires do not eliminate the slow hot start then I will be back in there for the 4 brush starter.

The radiator does not have to come off all of the way. However, i have never been able to clear the thermostate housing with the starter. I always pre-order the o ring etc for housing.... because once you take off the housing that O ring needs to be replaced. the one time I reused it..it leaked. It just does. That's my experience.

Ride hand side exhaust header pipe has to come, but not left as I recall