IGNORED

Battery info help

scubadiver

Brothers and Sisters- I purchased a new battery for my 03 in 2008 but never charged it up or installed it because I swapped that bike for a 2008 that Fall. My question is whether you all would think it advisable to charge it up now and install it this month. I am not familiar enough with the life of a battery to be sure of it's reliability. Thoughts and thanks.

Scubadiver:confused24:

Wow! 2008 to 2013 is 5 years without a charging. If the battery is the flooded type, rather than a sealed AGM, then IMHO that battery will not take a full charge because it is now sulfated, and would not be trustworthy. Best to trade it in for a new battery, and from what I read, the Dekka (sp) is proving the best choice for reliability, longevity, and high power.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling error - bad laptop

When batteries are first filled with acid they are fully charged. Topping off with a charger is not needed. Your battery sat unused for five years. First check with a volt meter it to see if there is any charge left. If there is even a little you may be able to bring it back to life. A long slow charge might work. Try it. Then test the battery. Run a small load on it for an hour or so, recharge and test it again. If it reaches at least the same level as it did after the first charge it is probably ok.

Mike

First make sure all of the cells are filled to the proper level. Top off with distilled water if necessary.

I would give it a long slow charge, then hook an old headlight up to it to discharge it to 10V with the light on, and give it another slow long charge. Test it again. Charge it again. If it got a reasonable amount of time on the headlight test (at least a couple of hours) then take it in somewhere and have it load tested, most places will do this for free. If it checks out good then use it without worry.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will proceed cautiously. I must admit that because I am going to take a cross country trip this summer I may lean toward the idea of just getting a new battery for safety's sake. MikeWa, I will be in Seattle around July 17th and will need service and tires. Any suggestions as to a good dealer? I saw one just south of Kent.

Thanks all again

Call or e-mail when you get close. My number is in the rider assistance list.

About the only place left is Hinshaws in Auburn. You might want to call ahead and make sure they have what you need.

HINSHAW'S MOTORCYCLE STORE

253-939-7164

Mike