IGNORED

A need to consult the brain trust

Wait!

Mike, that PN is for Pilot Air Jet 2.

Larry, you wanted Pilot Air Jet 1, correct?

Are you missing the jet visible looking down the throat of the carb or the jet inside the diaphragm?

The picture (shotgun9) looking at the carb after removing the diaphragm shows three arrows with the green arrow #3 pointing at Pilot Air Jet 2.

The picture (shotgun10) looking down the throat of the carb shows the green arrow (not numbered) pointing at Pilot Air Jet 1.

I'm digging here. I see the parts in the carb. I see them in the diagrams. I'm not sure I'm seeing the right thing or even under that name in the parts breakdown I have.

I see the part# 14 3G2-14231-16-00 . JET, MAIN #80 (#80) in the throat as MAIN JET but I'm not seeing a Air Pilot #1 Jet in parts. Only in flow diagram.

Been down looking at my spare carbs. I have the larger jet with the screw head showing at the top. The other smaller jet is deeper seated into the body and I can not see that it is removable. No groove for a screwdriver nor any sign of threading.

Our '84 & '91 appear to be the same construction but I have no info available on VMAX.

So, is it safe to assume that the only removable jet at the top of the carb is the Pilot Air Jet #1, erroneously called "Jet, Main 80" (#14) on the microfiche? Part number 3G2-14231-16-00

That's right and formally, it's not an Error. These Style of Jets are commonly used Main Jets from Mikuni, thus the Text is not wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally received the #80 Pilot Air jet from Ron Ayers. 2 weeks it took! Wow! I put it in and it ran alright. A little miss but not too bad. I have now put some clear tubing on the drain outlet nipples (not #4- nipple broken off) and #1 has a high level in the float bowl. But I ran 22 miles and it got hot. Seriously hot! I had to run the coolant fan- at it was only 85* out! Pulled the plugs- its running lean. Only 22 miles and I can already see the white dusting on the plugs. So I pulled one of the CV sliders. Question- does that little washer go above or below the clip on the needle? It was above- thus allowing the needle to protrude further into the jet. I suspect the PO was in there and reassembled it incorrectly. Thus causing this lean condition. The carbs were off the bike when I bought it.