IGNORED

Leaking Head Gasket

last fall I had some work done, including replacing a valve cover gasket;

the very next ride I stopped at a rest area and saw all kinds of oil on the ground. It was coming out of the head gasket at the left front of the engine.

As far as I can tell, oil is clean; coolant is clean, so it is just leaking to the exterior.

My question is whether there is anything the wrench could have done to cause the head gasket to leak--like re-torquing the bolts, or whatever. Since I don't know enough about it, I'm hesitant to bring the bike back to the same guy.

Ken in Port Huron

last fall I had some work done, including replacing a valve cover gasket;

the very next ride I stopped at a rest area and saw all kinds of oil on the ground. It was coming out of the head gasket at the left front of the engine.

As far as I can tell, oil is clean; coolant is clean, so it is just leaking to the exterior.

My question is whether there is anything the wrench could have done to cause the head gasket to leak--like re-torquing the bolts, or whatever. Since I don't know enough about it, I'm hesitant to bring the bike back to the same guy.

Ken in Port Huron

Attached is a picture of the front of the block without the heads on.

The inner big round holes are the cylinder bores, next around that is the water jacket cavity. Around each cylinder there are 4 head bolt holes. The only oil that is sealed by the head gasket is the central timing chain pocket. Very little pressure on that pocket.

Re-torquing head bolts requires that the cam caps be removed. Doubt that was done from what you describe.

I am guessing valve cover isn't sealing right. Oil doesn't always appear were it is leaking from. It moves in mysterious ways.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Rip, sorry to hear about the oil leak. I too agree that there is a 93.14159 % chance that it is the new Valve Cover Gasket that is leaking.

Contrary to the way that most people install their new valve cover gaskets...I saw that this was going to be a problem...so...I intentionally took both of my valve covers inside the house...let them warm up over night...then used yamabond to secure the new gaskets into place...placed the cover rightside up, so that there was the weight of the cover pressing down on the new gaskets to keep them in place, and left then to dry over night the next night.

After doing my valve adjustment...to perfection...I then installed the front valve cover...the easy one, and got used to doing it with the new gasket already in place, in the cover.

Then, I had to do the rear valve cover...and yes it was very tight (no analogies here), but I did make it fit in there, and I was 100% satisfied that the new gasket was correctly in place before I thightened things up. Even with that satisfaction level, I still made certain that when I started it up and ran the engine, I very carefully inspected the entire surface area of the gasket edges, to make certain that there was no leak at all.

So, installing the new gasket into the cover in advance can be done. It is tight, but well worth the effort.

:backinmyday:

you were all right on...it was the valve cover gasket. I stared at it for a good 15 minutes while running until I could trace it back to a nearly unseeable point. Bike is back at the shop for the the mechanic to correct the work. (and I'm losing riding time!)