IGNORED

Bike died again :(

So the bike died again :depressed:

Not to sure what did it this time.The fuel filter is still full and clean and the bike is getting fuel from the tank to the pump.The pump turns on and i watch it pull fuel from the filter so i dont think its the pump.I rode it for 50 miles then parked it at the house started it right up and it went just fine.I took it onto a island i live near to do a lap around the road is about 10 miles went not even 5 miles and it acted like it ran out of fuel again and wouldnt start back up not with choke and didnt even sound like it wanted to fire after the first few seconds of trying it would crank just fine just not give me a trying to fire sound you guys know right? lol

Reason 1. Maybe lost spark now i tested it with a plug i had with me it sparked so maybe bad plugs in the bike now?

Reason 2. dirty carbs Maybe something made its way thru the pump and into the carbs.

Reason 3.The carbs arent setup matching maybe they need to be matched

Reason 4.When it gets warm ( i took it for the long ride didnt have a problem let it cool then took it out again then had a problem after riding a bit and getting to temp) I loose spark due to the CDI? I do not know much about this little thing but i heard it can have a effect on the bike running at temp.

:confused24:

So im lost LOL gonna go down tonight and try to pick the bike up its at a resort in the parking lot nice and safe.

Iff i cant get it to start and baby her back home ill call a tow truck and pray i can get her running again tomorrow lol. I have till june 3rd to get this thing running to the point i can take it on my 3-4 hour drives.

If you guys have any tips that would be awesome i dont want to pull the carbs apart so im trying to avoid that till the last thing because i know it can be a job and a half.

Ill be doing alot of :detective: today so ill be online allday LOL

yea no problem starting up and battery holds a charge and charges no problem.

I didn tjust hook the radio up last night but i dont think that would do it after i rode it for that long would it?

It still trys to start battery wise no problem

Try new wires and caps, especially if they are the original. When it dies, when you first key on, do you hear the fuel pump for a few seconds?

There is a lot to the carbs and if you don't know what you are doing you can really mess them up even worse! There is a really good video out occasionally available on Fleabay on rebuilding them. The video is about VMax carbs but they are basically the same. I would try a good dosage of Seafoam and drive it like you stole it. Works wonders. You can pull the diaphragm covers and inspect the diaphragms for pinholes and replace any with holes without messing anything up, but chances are the carbs will need some kind of service.

Yes, try new plugs as they do tend to go south rapidly. You say it had spark so rule out electrical problems unless you want to try all 4 wires the next time it happens.

I would drain and flush the gas tank, you may be contaminated with bad gas or just plain crud. Another possibility is a bad fuel line, especially the one from the fuel pump to the carbs...

i have already filled it up with new gas cleaned out the crap in the tank and filter

i put seafoam init already but i havent looked at the line from the pump to the carb.

i do not want to take the carbs apart at all i am not there yet.

I will check the plugs and the line going from the pump to the carbs

Open one of the float bowl drains. It's a Phillips screw. They drain through the black hoses sticking through the bracket just under the carbs.

Let it bleed out. Then turn on the key and see if more fuel comes through. The fuel pump will only run for a few seconds without the engine running so you might have to cycle the key a few times. If you're not getting fuel you know it's plugged up somewhere.

It's be very unusual to lose all four coils or all four plugs at once. Even the TCI (it's not a CDI ignition) has a functional unit for each cylinder so most failures there won't wipe them all out.

Open one of the float bowl drains. It's a Phillips screw. They drain through the black hoses sticking through the bracket just under the carbs.

Let it bleed out. Then turn on the key and see if more fuel comes through. The fuel pump will only run for a few seconds without the engine running so you might have to cycle the key a few times. If you're not getting fuel you know it's plugged up somewhere.

It's be very unusual to lose all four coils or all four plugs at once. Even the TCI (it's not a CDI ignition) has a functional unit for each cylinder so most failures there won't wipe them all out.

As an addendum to this, carry a screwdriver with you. When this happens again, open the float bowls and see if there is any fuel in them. If no, problem is the fuel pump. If yes, then you have a different issue.

RR

So i got the bike back to the house and i started pulling the panels off to get a better look at everything and i spayed carb cleaner righ tinto the carbs and it fired up.

I left it running for a bit and noticed the fuel filter running out of gas.

I ws told that after rifing for ahwhile and with having a gas tank the way it is my vacuum lines could be wrong or unhooked i have a vacuum gauge on the bike that doesnt work it has one line coming out of the gauge and it is going into the right front cylinder and there are no other lines from the gauge to the tank or anything

Then after pulling the body panels off i found a hose just laying there it has a small what looks like filter on it but the line seems dry so must have been off for awhile i am wondering if this is my vacuum line and if anyone has a diagram of how the lines run

i hope this is the problem cause the carbs get fuel to them but only for awhile then it stops

i had the same problem on my 05 ninja 2 hoses were crossed coming from the tank and it wouldnt let gas flow and the bike would die same as this lol drive for miles and miles then bam die

It is running just fine again fuel filter getting fuel and the bike idels just fine for as long as i want in the garage i can rev it up and everything is fine :confused24:

Im not sure lol i dont want to ride it far because i dont want to get stuck again

this is so weird i dont know whats going on lol

i am wondering if it is dirty carbs

But i notice the screws that you guys said loosen to see if there was fuel they are kinda wet on the outside and they are as tight as they will go but the screws are kinda messed up

i know it will need work over time but im trying to get to school first and fix the bike there

so i want to make it safe to ride my trip does this sound like a big problem?

It is running just fine again fuel filter getting fuel and the bike idels just fine for as long as i want in the garage i can rev it up and everything is fine :confused24:

Im not sure lol i dont want to ride it far because i dont want to get stuck again

this is so weird i dont know whats going on lol

i am wondering if it is dirty carbs

But i notice the screws that you guys said loosen to see if there was fuel they are kinda wet on the outside and they are as tight as they will go but the screws are kinda messed up

i know it will need work over time but im trying to get to school first and fix the bike there

so i want to make it safe to ride my trip does this sound like a big problem?

You don't want to tighten those screws too tight!!! When mine were seeping fuel, I found that the O rings around the screws (you have to pull the screws out to see them) needed to be replaced. Over-tightening the screws won't fix this leak, and will make the screws way harder to loosen next time. Make sure you have a phillips screwdriver that fits good! Metric phillips and SAE phillips are NOT the same. To drain the carbs, all you have to do is loosen these screws.