IGNORED

US Steel members?

dunvilsteev

Well, I don't work at USS, but I've been to the mill and I do buy steel.

Everyone should see a stee mill----Amazing!

When it comes to steel mills, someone is always buying someone.

What mill did they buy now that you work at?

Steve

i live near birmingham, al and us steel is starting to build a new plant here thats is to open in 09. they are running ads here for people to apply for several hundred new jobs. i'll try and find a link to it for you. they already have a large mill here that smelts iron ingots for the pipe and sheet mill located in fairfield, al plant.. 3 1/2 yrs ago i worked for 10 weeks in the sheet mill doing maintenant for a outside contractor. there was talk then of them buying or be bought out by someone else. http://www.ussteel.com/corp/index.asp i can't find the link now, but next time i see the tv ad, i'll get it to you. another steel co is building a steel plant near mobile, al. i think they said there would be 1200 new jobs there. you mayne able to locate down south and have a good job and get to ride year round. loll

Well, I don't work at USS, but I've been to the mill and I do buy steel.

Everyone should see a stee mill----Amazing!

When it comes to steel mills, someone is always buying someone.

What mill did they buy now that you work at?

Steve

I work for Stelco in Hamilton Ontario Canada

My reason for asking is because they are not spending a penny on much needed maintenance and are actually going through and cleaning out any scrap steel they can find ie filing cabinets etc. I cant understand why they would buy it and then mothball it!

Doesn't give a warm feeling inside.

And after 31 years in the dump, lets face it, if they close it chances of getting back into male stripping are pretty slim for yours truly. ;)

Steve, I work in the trucking industry, and we have 1 truck that goes 24-7 into both Stelco plants Hilton Works & Lake Erie. My understanding from what we're hearing is that US Steel is downsizing Hamilton and upgrading Nanticoke because of the age difference between the 2 mills. Also Nanticoke can hot roll the wider slabs of steel whereas Hamilton dosen't. Customers stamping plants are now being designed to accomedate the wider coils, to offset their shipping and operating costs.

Also, I have a good friend that is a computer programmer working at both mills, who after 20 years, they contracted out the computer business and Paul dosen't know how much longer he will be employed there. We hired one of the foremen in the shipping dept. at Nanticoke, and he was glad he got out when he did. Things are going downhill.

US Steel is a big company, I've been to a few of their US plants. It dosen't surprise me, however that they would be making major changes to be more productive and get rid of things that are not making money for them. Just my :2cents: worth.

Good luck!

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada: