IGNORED

Four brush starter upgrade

Unless that starter is actually not off of a 2005 bike like he claims it is it is a 4 brush starter.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74131&highlight=starter+upgrade

From that link.....

Originally Yamaha used a 2 brush starter from 83-90 in the Venture. The 91-93 Venture and RSV used a 4 brush starter.

Upgrading to a 4 brush in the earlier bikes may have taken place......so how do you know?

If you examine the end plate of the starter and its a Mitsuba SM-229 series....its a 2 brush.

If its a Mitsuba SM-13 series...its a 4 brush.

ASk the seller if the starter has SM-13 on the end, do not ask if it is a 4 brush as most sellers have no clue at all as to what they are selling.

Edited by timgray

Unless that starter is actually not off of a 2005 bike like he claims it is it is a 4 brush starter.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74131&highlight=starter+upgrade

From that link.....

Originally Yamaha used a 2 brush starter from 83-90 in the Venture. The 91-93 Venture and RSV used a 4 brush starter.

Upgrading to a 4 brush in the earlier bikes may have taken place......so how do you know?

If you examine the end plate of the starter and its a Mitsuba SM-229 series....its a 2 brush.

If its a Mitsuba SM-13 series...its a 4 brush.

ASk the seller if the starter has SM-13 on the end, do not ask if it is a 4 brush as most sellers have no clue at all as to what they are selling.

Good points and info. I do not know how he made the original determination. You don't know what was done to a bike in it's past. I am not familar with them so that is why I asked. I will go back to them to verify. In the mean time, finding I can get one new for $79 is a plus for me, assuming it is a 4 brush. I will ask just as you suggested. thanks.

Good points and info. I do not know how he made the original determination. You don't know what was done to a bike in it's past. I am not familar with them so that is why I asked. I will go back to them to verify. In the mean time, finding I can get one new for $79 is a plus for me, assuming it is a 4 brush. I will ask just as you suggested. thanks.

OK, I contacted DB electric and verified the starter they sell on Amazon and was a match to the one from the seller in the first Ebay line above is a 2 brush unit and if you look at the long OEM part number embedded in the part # is the SM229C. I have asked them for a 4 brush model and waiting to hear back.

OK, I contacted DB electric and verified the starter they sell on Amazon and was a match to the one from the seller in the first Ebay line above is a 2 brush unit and if you look at the long OEM part number embedded in the part # is the SM229C. I have asked them for a 4 brush model and waiting to hear back.

OK, asking several places and this company wrote back and said their starter is a 4 brush unit and is the SM13

http://www.usautoelectric.com/store-products-18750-Starter%2CYAMAHA-MOTORCYCLE-%2C-VMX1200-V-Max-1198cc-Mitsuba-SM13%2C-%2C-SM-13279%2C-SM229C%2C-SM-229C%2C--18750_1098065453.html

Here is the answer I got back today from my question if this was a 4 brush starter.

ANSWER

Hello,

It is a 4 brush starter

Here is what my book says it fitsffice:office" />

Yamaha

VMX12V-Max

1198cc

1985 - 1999

Yamaha

VMX1200V-Max

1198cc

1985 - 2000

Yamaha

VMX1200V-Max

1198cc

2004 - 2004

So I am assuming it also will fit a '89 Venture Royale. Any comments? It seems the others I have found all came back as 2 brush from other companies. DB came back and said they do not have a 4 brush starter. Again new or third party versus used value?

OK, asking several places and this company wrote back and said their starter is a 4 brush unit and is the SM13

http://www.usautoelectric.com/store-products-18750-Starter%2CYAMAHA-MOTORCYCLE-%2C-VMX1200-V-Max-1198cc-Mitsuba-SM13%2C-%2C-SM-13279%2C-SM229C%2C-SM-229C%2C--18750_1098065453.html

Here is the answer I got back today from my question if this was a 4 brush starter.

ANSWER

Hello,

It is a 4 brush starter

Here is what my book says it fitsffice:office" />

Yamaha

VMX12V-Max

1198cc

1985 - 1999

Yamaha

VMX1200V-Max

1198cc

1985 - 2000

Yamaha

VMX1200V-Max

1198cc

2004 - 2004

This looks like the same starter and is a SM13 type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300591657853?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Well, sent this person a message and asked if it was a 4 brush starter since it does say SM13. Answer came back no that is was a 2 brush starter. Looking more and more like many of these people on Ebay list all the different starters that fit but do not really know the difference when posting them until you push them for an answer. Makes Buyer Be Ware more and more important. thinking I will go with the one that came back new and confirmed 4 brush from the starter company. Sure wanted to find one in that $60 range. thanks to all.

SUCCESS! Looking thru ebay, I found a used one that they said was from a '97 V-Max, but only had 1000 miles on it. Took a chance since it sounded like a 4-brush due to the SM-13 stamped in the end cap and no screws in the case. It was $67 shipped. Just popped it open to confirm that it had 4 brushes, and WOW, was it clean. So now I hope that once installed, I don't have any more starter issues. Now I need to do the fuse block mod.

-Andrew

you can buy a 4 brush plate with new brushes on it for less than $20.00, can you swap the plate with the 2 brush plate?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Brush-plate-brushes-SM-13-/251248882224?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7f99b230&vxp=mtr

I checked into that quite a while back when I fried my 2 brush. If I remember right the answer was no because the armature / communtator (?) is different. I belive it's because of the windings.

Seemed too easy of a fix.

I have a friend in the starter/alternator business but I figured i would get a more clear answer here than from asking him. He probably would have told me there wouldn't be enough room to install the proper amount of smoke.

glad you got one in such good condition for the good price. I went ahead and ordered and got the new one from US Auto Electric. I had called them to confirm and it is one of the ones someone mentioned was from Taiwan but it looks like yours. Have not popped the end to check yet. But got it for $131 brand new. Yours looks new inside. good deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, while out for vacation I had my shop install my 4 brush starter plus a few, well lots of upgrade items. It turns that engine over so fast I have never heard any of my past VRs turn over this fast, cold or hot. So glad I did it. Now I also, side note, put in the carb sync shims too. Plus while he was in there, I had lot of oil and cooling leaks so had all that done. Of course with valve covers off, shoot do the vavles and on and on.

Noticed now it spins fast but I seem to have to crack the throttle to get it to start now. When I rode it home it ran much better, way quicker acceleration and smooth. Not sure what or if all together the work helped it but assuming the starting difference is the leaner mix it is set at so cracking the throttle may be the new starting norm.

Anyway, glad I did the work, ready for summer. Now new windshield, audio system upgrade, fuse box and LEDs.....