IGNORED

Road King mufflers on my '91.

I'm finishing up my winter maintenance and I plan to put a set of Road King mufflers on. I have the mufflers, but I need to know what is the best way to mount them. I know about needing to make a transition piece, but what I need are some close up pictures of the final mounting arrangements that Y'All have used. I did a search an all I found were some long distance shots that did not show any mounting brackets or adapters.

If you want you can hit me on yahoo. My screen and e-mail make is red03sporty (that is a zero, not the letter 'O')

Thanks.

I'm finishing up my winter maintenance and I plan to put a set of Road King mufflers on. I have the mufflers, but I need to know what is the best way to mount them. I know about needing to make a transition piece, but what I need are some close up pictures of the final mounting arrangements that Y'All have used. I did a search an all I found were some long distance shots that did not show any mounting brackets or adapters.

If you want you can hit me on yahoo. My screen and e-mail make is red03sporty (that is a zero, not the letter 'O')

Thanks.

On the first gens you will need to have an adapter pipe made from the muffler to the collector. In the past most members have gone to their local muffler shop and had them made. Maybe having them made up and then get them chomed would be kinda cool....??

On the first gens you will need to have an adapter pipe made from the muffler to the collector. In the past most members have gone to their local muffler shop and had them made. Maybe having them made up and then get them chomed would be kinda cool....??

I've got that part covered. Having the transition pipe chromed is a real waste of money, 'cause the heat from the exhaust is gonna turn in blue any way. If I want bling I'll find a chrome heat shield...

What I really need are close up pictures of how the muffler is attached to the saddle bag support.

I've got that part covered. Having the transition pipe chromed is a real waste of money, 'cause the heat from the exhaust is gonna turn in blue any way. If I want bling I'll find a chrome heat shield...

What I really need are close up pictures of how the muffler is attached to the saddle bag support.

Generally it's the header pipes that blue out from the heat. I can't remember seeing anything that far back being effected. I think Carbon One was making a set of brackets to mount the RK's on the RSV's. Give him a shout.. If he isn't, maybe he knows which member did??....

I've seen some brackets on evilBay, but the seller has some disclaimer about not being able to ship due to an illness or some such thing.

Still, having pictures is what I require so I can see what is needed BEFORE I spend any money.

OK, here ya go. Found this after doing a search on the board. Second post down.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48441&highlight=harley+muffler+bracket

Thanks for the link.

I did some digging and I'm going to check out some flex pipe and some pipe hangers at AutoZone. If these work out I may be able to come up with a "better" way to do this... I'll keep ya posted.

The only issue I see with the hanger on that link is that wiht only one bolt on the forward mounting point it wouldnt seem to me it is really supporinting any weight. To lighten up the load as far as the overall weight you could use square alum tubing also, probably 1" angle of your choice would work too. Alum if you polish it up looks pretty spiffy also almost chrome.

I did see a thread on these boards where a fellow used just the ole glass pack (cherry bomb type)mufflers and it sounded pretty dang good.

I just did the same exact mod to my '84. I actually mounted a bracket coming down from the bottom rail of the side bag (behind the bag) and then over like a 'L" shape bracket. But for the adapter pipes, went to an auto parts store, got the 1 1/2" galvanized pipe that is 12" long, it has a flared end that is abt 1 3/4 and the other end is 1 1/2. If you get the couplers that fit over both ends of the pipe, you won't need any gasket. And what I also did before final mounting. I got some engine paint at lowes, 2000 Degree paint, and painted them, then followed the instructions to bake them. Flat black looks real nice, before the chrome slip-ons.

Edited by Daitan
adding pics

I agree with the last 2 posts. Having the mount to the bike @footpeg bracket will put twisting on the "16 degree" bent pipe. Unless there was an unseen "stop" in the home made assy. that we could not see. Vertical (straight up)_to the frame support is always best like the stock way our bikes were made. To the saddlebag mounts/guards seemd doable. Take your time.

• 1 month later...

The flex pipe was all wrong. You can put it over the collector box outlet, but you cannot get it to seal inside of a H-D muffler inlet...

But, here is what I did:

The pics show a hanger attached to the muffler mounting bolt. An H-D muffler clamp is welded to the hanger. The transition pipe is custom bent. Complete install cost me a C note...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...