IGNORED

new liners in trunk and saddlebags

onenut

After pondering for a while about the foam liners in my trunk and saddlebags they were pretty wore out being 24 yrs old. My wife got a new treadmill so I tore the old one apart cut the belt and used my foam liners for a pattern they fit great and sure they will last long as I own the bike.

Here's a post from when I did mine.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45136

Power was no problem. Ran a ground and patched a hot lead off my marker lights. Used a two wire trailer connector to make the connection between the bike and the trunk for easy removal. Small hole for the trunk lead wires and some silicon and it stays bone dry inside.

Ok you inspired me snaggletooth I've had a 400new watt power inverter laying around for a while so took it and used the wires for the trunk light and wired it in now I have a usb for cell phone and two outlets have to wait till payday to finish then I'll post some pics.

Hey Ben.

Have you looked at the seal in the metal trim of the trunk? That was where mine was leaking at when I got it. Once I got past that it buttoned up nice and tight.

I resealed that but it was still getting in . However I just recently noticed a hairline crack in the r/s corner of the lid so its time to get the plastifix out (it looks and functions just like plastex) I picked it up at the airport in Brantford. I am hoping it is the same but won't know until I try it. It looks and smells the same has the same applicators (actually slightly better). All in all I am pretty convinced it is the same stuff under a slightly altered name and I can get locally.

Edited by saddlebum

You're working backwards from what I was doing. I'd found several very small cracks on the top half of the trunk body at the corners. I used JB Weld and worked it into the cracks from the inside. (before I started using epoxy like I should have done) Got all the cracks sealed and it was still getting wet inside. Then I replaced the rubber seal in the trim and that took care of it.

It's nice having a dry trunk.

My foam liners were wore out and no liner in left side saddle used the other two liners for a pattern and left them in under the new liners now the treadmill belt is a soft rubber coating on the top side so it should help keep things from sliding around a little bit and looks good.