IGNORED

16,000 mile service done & now can't ride

ediddy

Last week I rode my bike to the dealer for the 16,000 mile service. I drove 100 miles to Tallahassee Florida. There is a dealer here in Albany, Georgia but they didn't have the bike I wanted so I had to go to Tallahassee. The only reason I go back to Tallahassee is I financed on the Gold Card and my services are included for 36 months. The price Tallahasee charges for the 16,000 mile service is $1,100.00. I picked up my bike yesterday and drove to my office and parked it. When I left work yesterday afternoon and stopped at the first traffic light I heard the worse clicking noise from the rear end I have ever heard. I pulled in at an independent cycle repair shop that was on the way home. Two guys I ride with were there and the mechanic said he would look at the bike and not charge. We checked the rear end oil and it was full of fresh oil. When you sit on the bike and roll it forward or backward you can hear the click. It isn't a click that you get each time the wheel makes a full revolution but one click after another and it is loud. So I am going to trailer the bike back to Tallahassee. Here is my question. I have a trailer but have never trailered my venture. The instruction sheet with the pingel wheel chock I purchased says not to tie a touring bike down with the front forks but to put a tie down strap around the triple tree. I can't see where you can put a tie down around the triple tree with the fairing. Any suggestions. I have an 05 RSV. Thanks.

Guest Fly-N-Lo

Eddie,

I have a 1st Gen and have trailered it a few times. I use a 5x10 landscaping trailer with wire mesh floor. Don't have one of those fancy wheel locks, so I strap my tires to the floor. Then I ratchet strap 4 corners. 2 straps at the grips, 2 from the rear frame behind the bags. Be sure to use a terry cloth between the straps and any painted surfaces. Ratchet tight enough to put preasure on the forks and rear shock. I leave the side stand down just in case of strap failure. Trailered it 7 hours on I-20 from Atlanta to SC. Didn't even budge an inch. Hope this helps.

Landon:080402gudl_prv:

Ed,

Thats not true, I have hauled several Ventures both 1st and 2nd gens. I always hook the fwd tiedowns to the forktubes just above the lower triple tree bracket. This is not going to hurt anything.

Now I have 6 ratchet straps (dont use the pull tight ones as they are junk) that I hook onto the bike. Some here will argue that is overkill but I learned the hard way once, so overkill it is. 2 on the front fork tubes, 2 pulling from the rear and 1 going across the seat to the opposite side of the floor (2 total)

I think Freebird did a write up about tieing down a Venture, dont know if it was lost in the crash.

Ed,

Thats not true, I have hauled several Ventures both 1st and 2nd gens. I always hook the fwd tiedowns to the forktubes just above the lower triple tree bracket. This is not going to hurt anything.

Now I have 6 ratchet straps (dont use the pull tight ones as they are junk) that I hook onto the bike. Some here will argue that is overkill but I learned the hard way once, so overkill it is. 2 on the front fork tubes, 2 pulling from the rear and 1 going across the seat to the opposite side of the floor (2 total)

I think Freebird did a write up about tieing down a Venture, dont know if it was lost in the crash.

Eddy, Just a shot in the dark but look and see if the caliper bolts are in there and tight in the rear. Look underneath. Id never admit it but I forgot to tighten the bolt properly when I fliped over the rear pads once and one worked its way out. The caliper would shift around and clunk when rolling front and rear.

Guest BluesLover

I use the same tie down set up that Brad described ... used it last year and then again this year to trailer the bike down to Florida. In both cases we had two bikes (the other one was a HD Classic, so both kind of large), so "overkill" is kind of appropriate ...

Cheers,

Guest Brianwgn

This clicking noise from the rear end is a common problem with these bikes. Yamaha even has a fix for it at dealerships.

I had the same problem. It is the splines not greased enough and/or the rear axle a little out of round specifications. The mechanic has to follow the fix procedure exactly as written and you will not have that problem again.

My dealer changed the rear axle and applied some special grease to the splines, 10,000 miles later and still no problem at all. Yamaha covered under warranty.

Brianwgn

$1100.00 for a tuneup ? What could they possibly do to the bike to justify that kind of money? and then to have the rear drive clicking ?

I think I'm in the wrong business.:080402gudl_prv:

I figured that out when they told me $60 a hour and then I started to tell them how to do it. Took it home and did it myself!!!

$1100.00 for a tuneup ? What could they possibly do to the bike to justify that kind of money? and then to have the rear drive clicking ?

I think I'm in the wrong business.:080402gudl_prv:

My thoughts exactly i just got mine back from the 42000km(25000mile) I trailered it home as my dealer is 2 1/2 hrs away and it was -3 and snowy!

i paid absolutely 0$$ as my dealer incl 5 year maintenance on his ventures. however he always shows me the zero'd out invoice and it would have been $476 CDN. that incl checking valves, replacing all fluids incl brake n clutch, shaft, greasing the spilnes, brake checks, cables etc etc etc. more to it than the 16000 mile one and fluids. I dare say that dealer ripped him off and never checked that rear wheel.

OUCH

oh 3 times on the trailer now for service at end or start of winter and she tows real well!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/salty01/salty02.jpg

Salty, Aug 2005 Cody Wyoming