IGNORED

Detailing bike

ediddy

When I get frisky and decide to do a good detail on my bike I take off the seats and saddle bags. The problem is with the saddle bags off the bike it's hard to keep the saddle bags stable enough to clean them. Anyone have any suggestions. I thought about maybe building a rack I could put them in while cleaning.

I used to take mine off also to clean them and when I did I laid down a large bath towel then placed one on it and the towel protected it from scratches while cleaning it.

I however DO like your idea of maikng a small holding jig for it..

I would think a 2 x 6 baord used for the base with an aluminum bar attached to the board using two simple bar clamps.

Then have (2) nuts welded onto the aluminum bar (same spacing between each other that matches the bike)

This way you could set the side bag on the bar and install the (2) bottom side bag thumb screws to attach it and hold it to the aluminum bar so you can clean it.

The board, and bar would be underneath the side bag (just like its on the bike) and you could clean the wheel side, the out side, front and back easily.

If you "raised the aluminum bar off the wooden base about 1 foot, you could easily clena the bottom side of the side bag too.

PS:

My wife has always said: I wish you would give near as much thought and planning into me when you feel like getting frisky with me like you do your bike....... !!

I do like Eck place a towel or blamket down to protect them then just clean the back side and underneath before putting them back on and finishing. If you dont have the fancy fastners be sure you don't leave the bolts on the inside they can find some hard to get out hiding places.