IGNORED

Installing factory passing lamps

Guest Saddletramp

Guest Saddletramp

:detective:I want to install the factory passing lamps but wish to get them off the ignition switch. Relays have been mentioned and I wanted to know why a relay. Couldn't you wire direct to the accessory post and switch them as intended beside the 12 volt plug? Could some one go over the wiring from the start.:7_6_3[1]:

12 gauge fused wire from Battery > Relay Then Relay > Lights

14 guage wire from a switched power source .. can tap from head light...

Headlight > switch then switch > relay

Then ground the relay... Relay > Ground

This setup gives you plenty of power to run your passing lamps as its getting fed from the battery via a heavy wire. But only comes on with the key and the switch allows you to shut them off when you want.

If you just tapped into your headlight wire and hooked it up to your passing lamps it compromises the headlight circuit and your ignition. The relay is like a valve that is switched open and closed with your headlight circuit but is getting power from the battery.

Hope I explained this right... I'm sure someone will say if I messed it up.

There has been a lot of talk about using a relay, some have and some have not. I picked up power from the headlight high beam wire to power mine. I disconnected the switch that comes mounted on the passing lamp and ran a wire directly to both passing lamps. I then installed a mini fuse in each of the lamp housings and installed a 5 amp fuse. My passing lamps come on with my high beam. I did not install a relay and I had over 60K miles on my 03 RSV before trading it for a 07 with no problems. I also had over 86K miles on my 03 1100 with the same set up and no problem. I have never blown one of the 5 amp fuses.

To relay or not to relay that is the question.

Guest Saddletramp

Stoutman, is that a cover or a new resevoir? That looks like something I could use for more lights in the future. Maybe the Diamond R lights for the saddlebags.

Hope I don't make anyone mad but the idea is not to run the extra current thru the low/high beam switch, which some people have had problems with doing. I have not and I have not heard from any of my friends that they have by not using the relay. I know the theory behind using a relay and it's a sound one and I'm not suggesting that people don't use a relay I'm just saying that I have not had any problems with not using a relay. My reasoning is that I just don't think another 70 watts running thru this switch which is rated at 20 amps according to a friend of mine who is a Yamaha mech will cause the high/low beam switch to fail sooner rather then later. If indeed the switch is rated for 20 amps then it will switch 240 watts. The passing lights are 35 watts each. The low beam is 55 watts and the high beam is 60 watts. Both are on when you select high beam for a total of 115 watts. Adding 70 watts for the passing lights will increase the current thru this switch when you select high beam to 185 watts.

However if you decide to change the 35 watt bulbs for the 55 watt ones it's a good idea to add the relay.

Stoutman, is that a cover or a new resevoir? That looks like something I could use for more lights in the future. Maybe the Diamond R lights for the saddlebags.

This has three switches and fits on top of your existing resevoir. I've used one for about two years now. Works great. Mine is old enough that it doesn't have the little LED lights to indicate if the accessory is on or not. This new one looks better.

There has been a lot of talk about using a relay, some have and some have not. I picked up power from the headlight high beam wire to power mine. I disconnected the switch that comes mounted on the passing lamp and ran a wire directly to both passing lamps. I then installed a mini fuse in each of the lamp housings and installed a 5 amp fuse. My passing lamps come on with my high beam. I did not install a relay and I had over 60K miles on my 03 RSV before trading it for a 07 with no problems. I also had over 86K miles on my 03 1100 with the same set up and no problem. I have never blown one of the 5 amp fuses.

To relay or not to relay that is the question.

Probably the only thing that saved your setup from getting fried was you hooked them up to your High Beam... You don't run Hi Beams as much as Low Beam.

Why wouldn't you run a relay? You trying to save 5 bucks ... You probably spent that on your mini fuses... And why hook them up to Hi beams? Do you know that's against the law in most States?

I put a switch on mine cuz I thought I would shut them off during the day but I found out I'm much more visible during the day and leave them on all the time but have the switch if I ever have a charging problem.

Saddletramp Don't even think of installing your passing lamps without a relay.

Probably the only thing that saved your setup from getting fried was you hooked them up to your High Beam... You don't run Hi Beams as much as Low Beam.

Why wouldn't you run a relay? You trying to save 5 bucks ... You probably spent that on your mini fuses... And why hook them up to Hi beams? Do you know that's against the law in most States?

I put a switch on mine cuz I thought I would shut them off during the day but I found out I'm much more visible during the day and leave them on all the time but have the switch if I ever have a charging problem.

Saddletramp Don't even think of installing your passing lamps without a relay.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I run my high beams all the time day and night, but I don't do much night riding. I have never been stopped and never had a problem with the circuit. Like I said to each his own I'm just saying the lighting circuit on the RSV can handle another 70 watts.

I can add my 2 cents - - - I run the high beam in day light hours and low beam in eve. I commute and am in dark in am & pm. I want all 3 lights on all the time whether I am using hi or lo beam. The whole purpose is for the car drivers to see MY lights and take note. By the time their brains figure it out what the heck I am at least they have noticed that I am there. Most car drivers - and I have to admit that I am too guilty - look past a cycle. Everyone is conditioned to see a car or truck. A single light confuses them and a multilighted cycle makes them at least notice it whether they yield or respond at least they notice. And a high beam and 2 other lights on the front has a better chance than a single low beam to be seen. All newer model bikes's headlight comes on with ignition key. In the old days this was not the case. Safety standrds recognize that mandatory headlights on for bikes has a much better chance of being noticed by car drivers than a bike with no light on in day time. High beams at night are not only illegal but dangerous plus all oncoming traffic will be constantly flashing back which is not pleasant and also blinding and dangerous.

Guest Saddletramp

I run my high beams only at night when there isn't traffic oncoming or in front of me. Whether you realize it or not, or if you even care, during the day a high beam will still cause a glare to oncoming traffic. Simple rule; if it bothers your eyes to have it done to you, then it bothers other peoples eyes. The passing lamps have always been on if the low beams are on when it comes to other bikes I have owned.

I split fairing and saw how my passing lamps are wired up because when I turned on the lamps, my headlight would dim. It is just merely tapped into the low beam headlight wire. Look at what gauge that wire is. It appears to only be an 18 or 16 gauge wire. It's not that big.

If you want true maximum output of all the lights, then you need direct power right off the battery through a heavier gauge wire then tapping into the factory wiring.

Also, changing out your lights to Sylvania Silverstars will make a HUGE difference. They do not draw anymore amperage then the factory lights.

Basic Idea of relay, is so that new equipment, has sufficient current flow capacity. ( like some circuits in your house use, #14, some use #12 and some use #10 wire. There is a reason for that. Its called , the amount of Current Flow thru the wire. Its the same in a 12 volt circuit, and even more important here.

And to be able to turn the Added accessories, on and off, if the need comes up. Without, affecting the Stock equipment.

Also, to not overtax the current handling capacity of the Stock electrical system's. If the existing wireing is two small to handle added current draw, the wires start to over heat. keep that in mind.

And, its just good, standard electrical wireing practice.

And , always add a seperate fuse for any new equipmant !!!

On a 1st, Gen, the horn circuit, does not have a factory installed relay !

All current for both horns has to flow thru the Switch.

Yamaha used #18 wire for the circuit, ( too small )

I added a relay, rewired with #16, and the stock horns are much louder.

( this is just an example as to why relays are a good idea )

Yes, I know it will work without a relay, but a real electrician would never do it that way.

Electricity has a nasty habit of getting even on those who try to take short cuts thru the Fuse Box !!!

I stand corrected... I think I got my wire gauges wrong.. I think I used 14 gauge for the power wire and 16 on the switch side... and I must have used the running lamp circuit of my turn signals for the switch side of my relay cuz my passing lamps run on both Hi and Lo beams.

I have the Roadliner/Stratoliner lights on my RSV with 55W Silverstar bulbs along with a running lamp bulb in the bottom and they light up the road pretty good especially the sides of the road which is important here in Maine... we have racoons, porcupines, fox, big deer, and moose to dodge. Moose are hard to see at night cuz they're brown and their eyes don't glow like the other crittahs. The Silverstars did kinda burn my little reflector cup thingys... they're now kinda bluish purple and not the silver in the pic. but still work great.

http://images.motorsportdealers.com/common/MediaLibrary/CatalogImages/62/500/744134e9a.jpg

I don't run my Hi beams during the day and get annoyed at people that blind me day or night... but that's just me.

The law I was talking about is running your passing or any aux. lighting with your Hi beams... I do it myself but it is a law. Guys that have had dealers install their passing lights go off with Hi beam.

Good post George... There's a right way to do it and a Mickey Mouse way to do it... I don't Mickey Mouse my bike.

Guest Saddletramp

:RED:So if I install a stebel I should run a seperate circuit similair to the passing lights and while I'm at upgrade the wiring for the factory horns? I also wish to install the Diamond R lights in the saddlebag rails. Do the same? I was going to order:7_6_3[1]: a front set of signal lights for the rear and remove the stock. Can these be wired direct to the corresponding circuits at the rear lights? These I will want to wire,if possible as brake,turn and signals and the install the Diamond R bar light under the trunk. Just want to be sure that the factory charging system can handle it all.

When I first installed my lamps on my '04 I followed Yamaha's directions. Blew the main fuse within a week. Changed things over to relay and never had another problem again. On my '06 I did the same thing and have never had a problem. I take that back, I did have the ground wire inside the lamp break at the rivot.........what a little bugger to fix.

Oh yeah, when I've ask around about other manufactures, Kawasaki and Honda particularly, I was told their kit came with the relay. Hummmmmmm. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 months later...

I used the "on at all times" option in the diagram so they could be turned off or on anytime with the passing lamp switch. That sounds like the option you want being able to have them off when starting up. I also installed a lighted rocker switch next to the DC outlet with a relay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/PassingLightInst.jpg

I run low beams most all the time but the "running lights" are on at nite and I don't care who's coming. If a car hits a deer some body work is called for If I hit a deer(and we have bunches) a meat wagon will probably get involved. so if on coming traffic is irritated OH WELL

I tried wiring them like Yamaha said and blew the main fuse. now I have them wired into the cig lighter like someone suggested here and no problems.

I do have a question about brightness though. Mine appear to be dimmer than they should be. I have the sylvania headlight bulb in the bike and it seems to be much brighter than the passing lamps. Is this because it's run thru the cig lighter instead of battery/relay power or are they just dim?