IGNORED

Sandy's wrath

Squidley

The post below was on another forum from a rider in NYC.

Her office overlooks Ground Zero. An interesting read.

We still have no cell phone service, power went last night at 9:21 which was weird because the storm was well over by then. Came back a short while ago. We are calling it "The Zombie Apocalypse". I have never, ever seen devastation like this in my life. Tom's office is on the ocean, but no more. Don't know where they are going to put everyone when they get power back. Driving around was taking your life in your hands as there are no traffic signals. People here can't drive on a day when everything is as should be, so you can just imagine. Cars were tossed like bottles. Up on lawns, inside stores, thru houses. Houses are totally and completely gone. What once were garages, basements and ground floors of multi-million dollar homes have now been reduced to feet deep cesspools.

The Belt Parkway was closed as the ocean came up on to it and left, including, get this, a boat, pilings, sand, seaweed and other assorted sea junk on it.

111 houses burned to the ground as the fire department could do nothing but stand back and watch as the streets were so high with water that they could not get to the houses to put the fires out. I can't even imagine how frustrating that was to the FDNY or to those who could do nothing but watch their lives burn to the ground.

Wall Street where I work is still without power and can still be that way for another week. The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel that links

Brooklyn to Manhattan has a sign that say's 12' feet clearance as you enter the tunnel. The water was up to the sign. Trains if they ever get back to normal, won't be up and running for who knows how long. Don't know if I am every going back to work or working from home until who knows when.

This is just a bit of what we are experiencing. I am sure that you are all getting to see some of it on the news where you are.

Just keep us in your prayers that we get back to normal soon.

Central NJ is no way as bad as NYC, but it is still bad. Took a ride to Costco today with Jeannette. Had to go to two Costcos before we found one that was open. Power is out in most places. Most traffic lights are out. Huge trees are down everywhere. Saw one tree that flattened a car. Most filling stations are closed. Second Costco was on emergency power and was not pumping gas. The less than a handful open filling stations have cars lined up down the roads, and also there are lines of folks with gas cans going around the blocks. Driving around town is like driving through a maze. Schools and most businesses are closed. It's a very sobering sight.

"Sandy's low-pressure systems pushed cold air down from Canada to bring the winter-like conditions to North Carolina's mountains, National Weather Service meteorologist Doug Outlaw said. Some areas reported getting up to 3 feet of snow."

"Hennessey said the storm left snow drifts as high as 5 feet in Richwood and 3 feet in Summersville."

http://news.msn.com/us/heavy-snow-kills-5-in-w-va-including-candidate-rose

A buddy of mine on Long Island just told me that they are now advising that some areas of Long Island and Queens may take up to 4 weeks to restore all power, telecommunications and internet service. We're talking millions of people! This truly is a natural disaster of biblical proportions in its size and scope. Still breaks my heart that my home state (NJ) and so many of the places I lived in and frequented while growing up are either decimated or totally gone.

I'm packing the truck and trailer with water, gas, generators, power tools and other supplies and heading to Jersey on Saturday to help out some family members for the next week. Please join me in making whatever contribution you can to the Red Cross. Every penny will help.

Thanks.

:95:

Glad you get to head off on the cruise. My folks just got power back, my sister had it on wed. waiting for my brother to get his back on. Those pics of the Jersey shore are upsetting. My family is on Staten Island, as well as Brooklyn, & Queens.

Margaret

Many folks lost everything. It is very sad. The weather is getting cold, and many folks are standing in devastation wondering what to do. Fortunately, help is on the way, but the recovery will take much time. In the meantime, many will suffer.

Hey folks,

Been monitoring Sandy's path of destruction and thinking of you all up that way.

Also thought you might like to watch this little clip.

It's about 18 minutes in length, but the most interesting part is between 03:40 and 08:40.

This guy actually predicted something as big as Sandy was going to hit - some time.

He was pretty well on the money.

http://www.wimp.com/predictedhurricane/

Edited by spear

• 3 weeks later...