IGNORED

Beware of shopping carts

XV1100SE

I know we often talk of deer and drivers that don't see us... but keep your eyes out and be attentive of other things as well.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/27/biker-seriously-injured-after-striking-cart-left-in-road-in-london

As the season winds down for most of us, drivers are less attentive to bikers, and the obstacles faced increase. Be careful out there.

Guest tx2sturgis

Theres a way to reduce that kinda stuff....They are called Smart Carts. They have an electronic brake that locks the front wheels of the cart if its taken off the parking lot.

Obviously that cart wasnt one of those.

But, if the rider had been on the 'right' side of the road, he wouldnt have hit the cart!

:happy34:

Guest scarylarry

OR do like Aldis grocery, they charge .25 cents for a buggy and you get it back when you return it...

You don't see buggies in the parking lot like other places...

I usually try to avoid obstacles in the road when I ride. I suppose in the case of deer & other unpredictable things it's difficult, but in the case of stationary objects a modicum of alertness would go along way. If this guy can hit a shopping cart sitting in the middle of the road, he would be easily destined to wipe out in a pothole.

Basic concept of Rider Safety Course: SEE. Search Evaluate Execute.

It's always good to periodically review rider safety course materials (and if you've never taken one, I highly recommend it). I started riding at 17 until I was 25. I picked it up again at 50 & took the safety course. Amazing stuff. I sat in on the course when my 17 year old took his course a few years later. Great refresher.

If we get complacent, we get messed up!

Ride safe.

Guest tx2sturgis
London is a city in Southwestern Ontario, Canada

:whistling:

It was a joke...sorry...probably misplaced.

Like here in Texas, we have a town called Paris. Also, Athens, Dublin, London, and Liverpool.

Go figure.

And yeah, they get some ribbing about it.

I usually try to avoid obstacles in the road when I ride. I suppose in the case of deer & other unpredictable things it's difficult, but in the case of stationary objects a modicum of alertness would go along way. If this guy can hit a shopping cart sitting in the middle of the road, he would be easily destined to wipe out in a pothole.

Basic concept of Rider Safety Course: SEE. Search Evaluate Execute.

While I agree with the idea, please note the time of day when the accident occurred and what visibility may have been like. A lot of these newer carts are now painted and in some cases they are dark colours with little reflection of light. It is quite easy to miss seeing something like that, especially when it's not something you're used to seeing on the road. I look around constantly when riding and pay attention to my surroundings, but it is still easy to miss seeing some things - including pot holes - especially in the rain!

Andy

I'm not saying it can't happen but chances are the rider was driving as if it were 7am on a Sunday morning. Not going into absurd riding habits like lane splitting & weaving in & out of traffic but I can't tell you how many times I've seen riders going 60mph on a two way winding 35mph road (fun sure but potentially dangerous) or riding way too close to a car in front of them.

If you can't see 12 seconds ahead of you because of weather or lighting then adjustment are necessary.

Also age has a lot to do with the way you ride. Us older guys seem to not push the envelope as much, since we now know that we're not "indestructible" & we have enough aches & pains without laying the bike down.

I'm not taking a holier than thou attitude when it comes to riding, I'm just saying caution should always be part of your riding equation.