IGNORED

looking for a sidecar

Condor

I never thought id be saying this but life style changes have caused me to look for a sidecar.... ive really like the hannigan styling... but finding one used may be a problem..... any other suggestions???

Edited by Condor

• 2 months later...
I sold my Hannigan Side car last year. Just never was comfortable with the steering. Very hard to the right. Some said the easy steer would work but I did not have the faith to try it.

That's made me reconsider this whole side car thing. Getting it to steer with the easy steer would be OK, but I'd still like to take the side car off and ride solo. From what I've been reading the bike wouldn't handle all that well with the easy steer installed and no car... I'd still like to take the girls on a walkabout for a month this summer, but maybe taking the Suburban and doing KOA would be better???

Or maybe say the heck with the whole thing and take a cruise to Hawaii.... :thumbsup2:

With the price of used motorcycles getting lower and lower, I'd always recommend having one bike for solo and one with a sidecar. Trying to have one that does both well is either too expensive or means too many compromises. You CAN do it, but there are choices around tyres and suspension before you even think about any actual changes to the bike.

For about the price of an add-on sidecar and frame, you could buy this Ural and plink around on weekends:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcd/3492336779.html

Looks ready to ride, and wont upset your main bike's handling.

My original idea was to run north into Canada and back. No plinking there... :) And at $4K the bike doesn't get me any too excited.... I'm still raising two teenage girls, and the idea was to put the younger in the passenger seat and the oldest in the car and pull a trailer with the 'stuff'.... That's why the side car, and not a trike. Maybe I could just send them off to their aunt's for a month and take off by myself. It would be a lot cheaper.... :whistling:

My rig with the champion sidecar is as easy to drive as a car with power steering but way more fun. It does have the raked triple tree easy steer which makes this happen, and yes it is now a dedicated 3 wheel vehicle, no dropping the car and becoming a motorcycle. Push/ pull effect from the car is very minimal, you barely know you are making a slight correction. Mine also has the electric trim which with the mini toggle on the handlebar allows you to trim to neutral steering for crosswinds, road camber etc. when you add or subtract weight it is simple to adjust and neutralize for load change. Low speed u turns are very fun, being able to just crank on the handlebars and whip around is one of the plus maneuvers that offset not having a two wheel bike to lean in the corners. I actually like the ride and handling better than a friends goldwing champion trike.(solid axle) I do love the looks of the Hannigan side cars don't know from experience but they look like a great rigs. I would recommend watching the united sidecar classified adds. They often have beautiful complete rigs as well as separate cars, many at very reasonable prices and way below the cost of a trike. As others have mentioned you can always have both a rig and a bike. In retirement I plan to have both myself. Oh, when it is raining windy or cold my wife loves the convertable top!!!!

Guest tx2sturgis
My original idea was to run north into Canada and back. No plinking there... :) And at $4K the bike doesn't get me any too excited.... I'm still raising two teenage girls, and the idea was to put the younger in the passenger seat and the oldest in the car and pull a trailer with the 'stuff'.... That's why the side car, and not a trike. Maybe I could just send them off to their aunt's for a month and take off by myself. It would be a lot cheaper.... :whistling:

Ok...back to the drawing board....:happy34:

Wonder why Hannigan hasn't tried to create a trike with a bench seat (for two)? :detective:

would add a little to the length?

EDIT

To be more specific, the driver would still be seated in the front center, but, behind him instead of a single passenger seat there would be a 2 place, bench seat.

It would also allow the weight to carried lower. (slide the rear axel back about a foot and lower bench seat about 6"...

That way 3 people could ride... just a thought...

END EDIT

Edited by CaptainJoe

Wonder why Hannigan hasn't tried to create a trike with a bench seat (for two)? :detective:

would add a little to the length?

EDIT

To be more specific, the driver would still be seated in the front center, but, behind him instead of a single passenger seat there would be a 2 place, bench seat.

It would also allow the weight to carried lower. (slide the rear axel back about a foot and lower bench seat about 6"...

That way 3 people could ride... just a thought...

END EDIT

I've seen that done on a few VW Trikes. Maybe that's the way to go???