IGNORED

Garmin Praises

loehring

I don't normally praise a lot of companies but I have to say something about Garmin. I've owned a Zumo 550 for a number of years. Once I had a software issue after the warranty had run out and the service rep told me she had heard of this sort of thing happening on a rare occasion with some of the other units but never a Zumo. She said it was obviously nothing I did and sent me a new unit completely covered. Impressive!!

Now recently I had the covering of the on/off button finally wear out and the unit got some water in it that made the screen hard to work and then it finally cracked. I'm pretty technically inclined so I openned it up and found the problem. I called Garmin to see if I could order a new screen and housing because the warranty was LONG over and the rest of the unit worked fine. They told me they didn't sell the parts but for $150 they would send a new or refurbished unit to me. That's pretty close to what I was thinking I would have to pay for the parts so I was pretty happy with that. They said I would receive the replacement 10-14 days after they received mine so I sent it off.

Not only did I have the replacement 7 days after I sent mine but after careful examination I'm convinced this is a brand new unit. New software, maps and everything. They had even updated the serial number in my registration in MyGarmin so I didn't need to do anything for the new unit to be recognized.

WOW!!!! Now that's customer service!! I am now a LOYAL Garmin customer.

I had an old Garmin that kept flashing a message on the screen that the battery was bad, even after putting in fresh new batteries.

I called Garmin to find out what it meant. The guy on the phone said that is to warn that the internal battery that maintains the memory while you are changing batteries has gone bad. He then asked for the serial number and said "hell that is only 8 years old, that battery should last a lot longer than that". They warantied it at no cost other than what I paid to ship mine to them. They were able to retrieve all of my data and tranfer it to a bran new unit, and shipped it back to me next day air at no charge. The new unit had a lot more features than the old one and was a lot faster at figuring out where I was.

Is it a wonder all of my GPSs are Garmin?