IGNORED

campers

warriorhoneybee

just wanting some feed back on the camper thing.I'm looking at the bunkhouse,the time out by openroad and the solace by USA trailer. i don't want price to be the only reason i pick one but it is to be considered. the bunkhouse seems to be built a little better perhaps but only has three levaling jacks which is probably enough. when in the open position the camper bottom itself acts as a storage and part of the bed, and than has a room in front of it on the ground. the other two campers have a double fold out bed which makes the camper bottom a dinning room and than has another room in front and its off the ground. they also have 4 levaling jacks. the bunkhouse has a queen and even a king size bed where the Time out has a full and a queen and i called USA trailer and they said theres is also a queen that the print up was a miss print. the solace doesn't offer any trailer brake where the time out does for 469.00 dollars and the bunkhouse offers it for 1225.00 dollars. the price list that I'm looking at is the bunkhouse at $3695.00 the time out at $3795.00 and the solace at $2675.00. i wont bore you all with the standard features but i know some of our members have the bunkhouse and was wondering if anybody had any feed back on the others. thanks ans sorry for the long post.

I would also look at the trailmaster aspen classic. Reason i say is because the bed is a king, you have ALOT more storage because of the basement design, and also the room in front is bigger than the bunkhouse as well. Also the poles are in the inside of the tent so set up can be down out of the weather after setting the jack stands 4 each corner. I believe there is also a brake option as well.

I have an 07 model aspen classic and totally enjoy it. I dont have breaks and dont have a problem pulling it in mountains or highway speeds.

Good luck and enjoy the shopping.

Was researching trailers that offer brakes and found some that offer but don't recommend them as if you hit a bump it could activate the brake.??? WHAT???

look for "moderator" post on ELECTRIC/HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE SYSTEM:

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28008

Personally, I wouldn't haul a trailer without brakes as I've pulled many in my life and they will save your bacon in an emergency braking situation on wet roads

I believe in the law of unintended consequences.

I have heard both sides of the brake thing but when the manufacturers stop using brakes it makes me question them. I have maintained the brakes on my trailers for a long time and unless they are electric they are just not as reliable. If they are electric they are touchy to adjust and if not adjusted correctly can be dangerous. Either way they are mechanical and require maintenance but you should develop good driving habits when pulling a trailer and pull it as if you don't rely on the brakes to work. Pulling trailers with our cars and truck I have had experiences where I was glad I had them and times I wish I didn't. I could see situations where the brakes would be helpful and times they would actually be a negative. In the end we should Know our equipment and drive accordingly.

We have an Aspen Classic, which is almost the same as the Bunkhouse. Same people designed both of them. Perfectly happy with it, and no problems pulling it fully loaded, without the trailer brakes. The air conditioner & king size bed are big plusses in my book.

thanks for the info.I'll check your out at Asheville minimuffin and the camper too. Lil see you and the muffinman soon. the brake thing is whats holding me up. i haven't bought one yet because of this issue. i was leaning to wards the solace but cant make my mind up.

thanks Kid,i looked at the aspen but didn't really think much about them until you said something about them and now I'm looking closer at them. at first the price was a little high but after looking around and con paring them to others I've found there not that high at all. i know you get what you pay for. thats whats hurting my head about this deal all the campers are around the same price give or take except the solace which has me thinking are they any good. not just the price but all the extras they throw in and still 900-1590 cheaper than all the others. I'm still on the job. thanks

Last year I bought a used 04 Aspen Classic. Love it, don't have the a/c port like Monty's,but I can buy it and add it to my tent. Few stains on the tent and a couple of small holes in netting,but that was taken care of after I bought it. Had it set up in my yard and it rained 3 inches in 1 1/2 hrs. Little bit of water on floor, but sealed roof and floor seams with VLP and now no leaks. Have talked with Trailmaster a few times and they are great to deal with.

thanks buckshot,I've looked at some used ones but there only a little cheaper than a new one which i cant figure out. i followed a bunkhouse on ebay that was a 2010 that bid 4250 and didn't meet reserve although he did have a lot of extras with it. another one was a 2003 time out that said buy it now for 2900, a new one is 3795. 9 years old or a new one????

thanks buckshot,I've looked at some used ones but there only a little cheaper than a new one which i cant figure out. i followed a bunkhouse on ebay that was a 2010 that bid 4250 and didn't meet reserve although he did have a lot of extras with it. another one was a 2003 time out that said buy it now for 2900, a new one is 3795. 9 years old or a new one????

You really need to look every night for the used ones. Some, like mine had been used alot,but others are used so lightly that they are like new. Keep track what they are going for with extra's and be prepared to jump on one when you see it. The used one's with the good price don't last long. I looked for almost two years and missed some really good deals.

Guest tx2sturgis

What sort of hit on fuel mileage are you guys seeing, especially with those condo-on-wheels campers?

Those are sure nice at the campsite, but its getting them there thats costly, or...maybe not...

:puzzled:

You really need to look every night for the used ones. Some, like mine had been used alot,but others are used so lightly that they are like new. Keep track what they are going for with extra's and be prepared to jump on one when you see it. The used one's with the good price don't last long. I looked for almost two years and missed some really good deals.

I agree with buckshot. I looked for a long time and found a 07 used one up in VA. So i did have to make the drive up but i got it for a STEAL.

TX2Sturgis:I don't take that much of a hit on gas i would say maybe 5 mpg. But remember I am not running as fast as i normally do without a trailer. Specially when pulling my aspen compared to my cargo trailer.

CaptionJoe: If you use them a lot it works out in the long run. I also have AC and Heat and I am in MY BED WITH MY SHEETS. But I agree a hotel is much easier and a little cheaper when traveling long distance and staying in a different area almost ever night.

I like my aspen classic and it is much easier than a tent when camping.

What sort of hit on fuel mileage are you guys seeing, especially with those condo-on-wheels campers?

Those are sure nice at the campsite, but its getting them there thats costly, or...maybe not...

:puzzled:

Just checked my mileage going to and from the International. Some 2 lane and some 4 lane. Running from 60 to 70 mph. We had some high wind and rain also. Averaged out to around 36 mile per gallon. I am riding an 86 VR . Pulling my large cargo trailer on the 4 lane @ 70-75 mph I get around the same.

• 2 months later...