IGNORED

Defective Turn Light

calperin

Ok,

I found the first problem:

I was realizing that the right turn panel light was blinking faster than the right one when after check that the lamp on front was lighted but not blinking.

It was on due to the position, but the second filament didn't not power on.

I assumed that was the bulb (I didn't saw the filament broken but it could be the contact) so purchased a new one, but still the same.

So, since I never followed this wiring on the VR is something special to take care looking for this problem?

Anybody had this problem before?

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Is the R rear flashing? Already said dash is flashing. Seems flasher circuit is ok.

Looking at wiring diagram, appears disconnects on each of 3 wires to remove front turn assembly. Clean the dark Greenwire disconnect, as well as the 2 raised 'pins' in the bottom of the light socket. Also make sure using correct 2 filiment bulb. Not sure but I think it should be a 1157 type bulb.

Is the R rear flashing? Already said dash is flashing. Seems flasher circuit is ok.

Looking at wiring diagram, appears disconnects on each of 3 wires to remove front turn assembly. Clean the dark Greenwire disconnect, as well as the 2 raised 'pins' in the bottom of the light socket. Also make sure using correct 2 filiment bulb. Not sure but I think it should be a 1157 type bulb.

No, it is the R front flashing light.

I'll check if the bulbs I have are all ok, then I'll check wire by wire but never take of the fairing on the 2000 VR. So I don't know where I need to start looking for.

Let you know as soon as I go through this.

Thanks,

:mytruck1:

Ok,

I take of the turn light assembly on the front. It seems that position light turn on ok, but no signal comes from the flasher. Following the wire until below the Headlight it connects to a green wire that also doesn't come with flashing power. Is any non documented fuse on the system?

Where the flashing relay is located on the Venture 2 gen?

Thanks,

Carlos

Assuming that both the right dash light and the rear right turn light IS flashing, then the only place that could cause the front right NOT to flash would be a broken wire.

Any recent work that could have caused a pinched wire somewhere?

Brian,

I finished to purchase this bike. I asked the previous owner and he said that he didn't knew about this, but I have my suspects about it since I found a bulb 1157 on the trunk.

On the Green Wire below the fairing I have no signal, and the bulb is Ok. I found a flashing relay below the right side cover, and I can feel it clicking on and off, and the panel and back are flashing faster, and that is the part that I don't get.

If the cable is cutted the Resistance is bigger than expected (I assume the two lamps are going on parallel, then time constant is bigger what give you a lower frequency of flashing.

And here is totally opposite...

Now I need to follow the green wire until the flashing relay, and that could finish on take off all the fairing, which I'm trying to not to have to.

As supposed Relay is flashing but I don't know if is only one pole for the right section or one pole for the front and another one for the tail.

I'll check the diagram.

Flasher has only 1pole (output) wired BEFORE the turn switch. Then turn switch selects left or right, completes a ground thru BOTH forward and rear bulbs. Front and Rear appear to be spliced together in the wire harness. If the rear works but not the front, it must be defective wiring/connectors.

FYI, the flasher will only put 12v on line and start flashing, when load of lamps are sensed & trigger of auto-cancel is started(temporary ground thru another contact (1 for L& 1 for R) in turn switch when switch activated). Suggest remove turn relay and jumper a wire from brown to brown/white. This will apply continous 12v to the turn switch and allow you to test for volts everywhere all the way to front and rear bulbs.(they just wont flash).

If the bulbs work steady with jumperwire, then likely either problem with autocancel signal(clean turn switch contacts) or problem with flasher itself. This likely does not apply though if the rear bulbs works ok-Flashing, then the front should also.

Yes,

As said only the rear right turn flashes. I believe that the first thing to do is clean the turn switch to see if that clean the contact. As I said before, the bulb is Ok. Already jumped the wire to check if the wiring was ok and bulb was doing good contact.

the Switch for Alert (right and left at once) also works on three lights. So I keep feeling that I need to follow the green cable inside the fairing up to the turn switch.

The problem is that I never take off this fairing, so I don't want to damage it. It will be a good time to add the wiring for the CD player.

Thanks,

Carlos

Ok,

I found the first problem:

I was realizing that the right turn panel light was blinking faster than the right one when after check that the lamp on front was lighted but not blinking.

It was on due to the position, but the second filament didn't not power on.

I assumed that was the bulb (I didn't saw the filament broken but it could be the contact) so purchased a new one, but still the same.

So, since I never followed this wiring on the VR is something special to take care looking for this problem?

Anybody had this problem before?

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

I had this same problem on my 84. I did change the bulb, but I also had a bunch of corrosion around the bulb housing, and the ground wire was all green. I punched out the bulb holder from the plastic housing and cleaned it up. I also stripped a bit more ground wire. Put it all back together, and now it works great. Hope this helps.:whistling:

Bkuhr,

Thanks for the manuals, but still the diagrams belongs to the RS97, not the RSV.

Since I still have the RS97 are welcome any way... But the diagrams of the bike without the fairing and with 4 mufflers are exactly the ones that match my RS.

Checking the wires, now I shut my left front turn signal. If there is no fuse, then I 'm in a different kind of trouble, but I 'm feeling that there is on line fuses inside the fairing, like on the Venture Royale 84.

Thanks,

Ok,

This is what happens when you trying not to do something from the beginning....

I was trying not to take of the fairing from the bike, and of course I have to.

All the problem finally was that the cables inside the fairing that connects both front turn lights were disconnected.

Everything is ok, except that I found a little break in the ABS below the headlight. So, I need to find my kit of Plastex to repair it.

This allways happens, you try to fix something, and finish fixing all....

Thanks to eveybody for the help...

Carlos