Guest KitCarson

Hi Marvin.......this is a dangerous subject on this site!! Hey you know oil is oil, as long as you use a quality name brand product, whether it be regular dino oil or one of the newer synthetics. Oil and oil filters this day in age, are all just about equal as long as you stay away from anything that says fram on it. The key to any engine....bike......is regular oil changes. What some do not realize is oil is out of the same barrel lots of times......just has a different dye in it for that particular brand. But it can sure stir up a hornets nest of discussion. Having said all that.......and knowing of todays technology. I will tell you that I use mobile one synthetic 15/45 and have used it in all my bikes for a very long time. And I use just regular car oil......much cheaper...and anything over 30 weight does not have energy conserving particles suspended in the oil.......so anything over 30 weight is safe for the clutch. Kit

Depends on what type of the oil the bike has been running on since new? Dino or Syn.? Reason being is Synthetic oil tends to cause oil leaks on motors that have been running on Dino oil. So if its been using Dino most of its life stay with Dino oil.. What brand? is your choice as long you do regular maintenance on the bike.

Summer time 15w40-20w50 Winter time 10w40

Plus stay away from (energy conserving) oil labels as this will cause the wet clutches to start slipping.

Main Key is MAINTENANCE.......

Buddy

• 3 months later...

It's been over a year since I've signed into VentureRiders.Org, a GREAT sight for Venture owners - and a real shame that a crash lost so much valuable information. After experiencing clutch slipping, and referring to previous (old) posts, I began using Yamalube 20w40 which cured my clutch slipping. I believe the key was that it is non-detergent oil. Well, when I went to my local Yamaha dealer yesterday to get oil, they no longer carry 20w40, but a number of viscosities close to that - @ $9.00 a quart!!!

I know this question draws a lot of varying opinions, but I would still like to ask. What is the current preference for 1st Gen. engine oil, other than the overpriced manufacturer's brand? I'll be glad to try auto oil, as long as it doesn't bring back a slipping clutch.

I know oil is sometimes a hornets nest around here but I recently switched from a synth that the previous owner put in my 85 1st gen to a Canadian tire motorcraft regular oil at about 12 bucks a gallon,( i think it was 15-40) at the recommendation of another Canadian rider and it totally cleared up my slipping clutch here.

Its so great in here how everyone helps one another out and bounces all the ideas and experiences around. this way when we share, we all learn ....and not all of us have to learn the hard way.

It's been over a year since I've signed into VentureRiders.Org, a GREAT sight for Venture owners - and a real shame that a crash lost so much valuable information. After experiencing clutch slipping, and referring to previous (old) posts, I began using Yamalube 20w40 which cured my clutch slipping. I believe the key was that it is non-detergent oil. Well, when I went to my local Yamaha dealer yesterday to get oil, they no longer carry 20w40, but a number of viscosities close to that - @ $9.00 a quart!!!

I know this question draws a lot of varying opinions, but I would still like to ask. What is the current preference for 1st Gen. engine oil, other than the overpriced manufacturer's brand? I'll be glad to try auto oil, as long as it doesn't bring back a slipping clutch.