Ok , one other thing to look for. If the floats are hollow like the used to make them years ago, the floats themselves may be filling up with gas and falling open if the floats have a pin hole in them. This would have the same effect as float levels set way too high. Also this model may be like the 2gens that come from the factory with the float levels set too high. The manual is wrong on this. Goose has a write up in the Tech section on a better way to set the float levels without getting them too high.

The floats seem to be a solid black material. The bike is still at the mechanics so I will have to wait until I can get someone with a trailer to help pick it up. I have looked at the write up that Goose did, and it is really helpful but maybe beyond my skill level. If I was fresh into this I would probably jump in head first, but at this stage I am just exhausted playing doctor on this bike.

I like to ride and this is my only bike. Motorcycling is a stress relief for me, and I need my medicine :/

what fuel pump do you have ? check your fuel presser , it should be about 4 lbs , if somebody has changed fuel pumps , you could have the wrong pump .

:sign yeah that:That's my thought. The pump may not be sensing pressure and not shutting down, or it's an aftermarket putting out way too much pressure.

:sign yeah that:That's my thought. The pump may not be sensing pressure and not shutting down, or it's an aftermarket putting out way too much pressure.

it is the factory pump. How do I adjust pressure?

As far as I know there is no adjustment. It either works or it's bad. When you turn on the ignition can you hear it pump and then shut down??

I clicks until pressure is built up. Most of the time just a few clicks. If I have the fuel cut off and have run most of the gas out of the carbs, it will click fairly quickly then stop.

The bike does not leak gas when off or when the ignition is on and the fuel pumped primed. Only when the bike is running with the choke off. It seems that with the choke on it does not leak as much, I couldn't really test because the choke spring will not hold the choke open going down the road.

The bike did smoke horribly when driving it back from the mechanic, but I am guessing it was just too much gas?

I clicks until pressure is built up. Most of the time just a few clicks. If I have the fuel cut off and have run most of the gas out of the carbs, it will click fairly quickly then stop.

The bike does not leak gas when off or when the ignition is on and the fuel pumped primed. Only when the bike is running with the choke off. It seems that with the choke on it does not leak as much, I couldn't really test because the choke spring will not hold the choke open going down the road.

The bike did smoke horribly when driving it back from the mechanic, but I am guessing it was just too much gas?

Yeah, mine won't stay on either.... Sounds like the pumps OK, so the only way it can be coming out the overflows is by getting by the float bowl check valves?? And are all 4 carbs overflowing??

Yeah, mine won't stay on either.... Sounds like the pumps OK, so the only way it can be coming out the overflows is by getting by the float bowl check valves?? And are all 4 carbs overflowing??

It is intermittent. Mostly out of the right bank of carbs on the right sitting on the bike.

OK, first off, do not take the bike or any other bike back to said shyster! He doesn't have a clue. If what you said about putting in new jets and seats is true then the only possible answer to this problem is you have the floats set way too high which results in constant overflowing as a result of the fuel pump trying to fill the bowls. In essence you are pumping gas out onto the ground! Look in the tech section on how to adjust the float level. I'm not familiar with your particular bike but this is common to most all bikes with carburetors that have bowls. Remember, if it is overflowing and the bike has a fuel pump or not, the gas has no way to stop flowing on it's own. That is purpose of the floats and float needle valve.

also may want to check if the floats are saturated :sun:

From what you have said, I suspect your problem is for some reason your float needle valves are not shutting off the fuel. Until this is corrected, your bike is going to continue to flood, which is why it is smoking. This is why it is overflowing to the ground. When you switch it off, the fuel pump quits trying to keep the bowls full, so it quits overflowing. If the bike was a simple system without a fuel pump and just gravity fed, then it would continue to leak until all the fuel was emptied out of the tank. It may be as simple as a piece of trash between the needle valve and the needle valve seat. Try using the handle of a screwdriver and tapping the affected carbs before switching the pump on. Then do the same again while the pump is filling the bowls. If you get lucky you may dislodge whatever is keeping the needle valve from seating. But if this doesn't get it, then I see no other recourse but to pull the carbs. Keep us informed.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71010

this is the other thread that's about the same bike, hope it helps out others having the same problem. i think the worst thing for any gas engine is the ethonal they put in gas if it left standing for any long time over a few months. they have now come out with a new stabel for gas with ethonal, i ve also seen another that a lot of small engine shops sell thats supose do a great job but is around $15 a small bottle.