IGNORED

2nd Gen Fuel Pump

GeorgeS

OK, maby a Stupid Question :

But I have to throw this out there ----------

I just bought a New 2nd Gen RSTD. As to the fuel pump. Being as the fuel tank on this bike is " Above the Carbs " IF--- ( just poseing the question ) here, I run a fuel line from the Petcock, to the Carb s Fuel feed point, will " Gravity Flow " of the fuel keep the bike running ???

Or, put it this way, Is the Fuel Pump, really necessary ????

Has anybody ever tried this, simply as a method to get going out on the road, in the event that the Fuel Pump Fails ???

My thinking here, is to make up a tempory fuel line, to carry in tool kit, just in case fuel pump fails, on highway 50 going across Nevada !!! :whistling:

Thanks for that ! First time I pull the tank off for something, I will make up a Temp Fuel line, and add it to the tool kit.

Just one more comment. after haveing the new bike for about a week, and about 150 miles, I love it !!! Handles great !!! Comfortable !!!

But, lots of Whine from the Transmission, but, I'm wondering if the gear noise will drop off after a reasonably break in period. ???

Guest tx2sturgis

If you bypass the fuel pump, then the last gallon or two of gas from the fuel tank will not be available to the motor, since the inlet for the carbs is above the bottom of the tank.

But in a situation where the pump has failed, and if you dont try to ride it till it runs low on fuel, then a bypass hose should work ok.

Noise? What noise?

Hang on, let me pull out my earplugs. :whistling:

These bikes use some strong, but noisy, straightcut gears, and you will hear that noise most of the time your riding it. It is louder in some gears than others, and at different RPMs it may be more noticable. Most of us just crank up the volume on the stereo and go on down the road. :happy34:

• 3 weeks later...
If you bypass the fuel pump, then the last gallon or two of gas from the fuel tank will not be available to the motor, since the inlet for the carbs is above the bottom of the tank.

But in a situation where the pump has failed, and if you dont try to ride it till it runs low on fuel, then a bypass hose should work ok.

Noise? What noise?

Hang on, let me pull out my earplugs. :whistling:

These bikes use some strong, but noisy, straightcut gears, and you will hear that noise most of the time your riding it. It is louder in some gears than others, and at different RPMs it may be more noticable. Most of us just crank up the volume on the stereo and go on down the road. :happy34:

Well the gear " Whining " is louder on the new 08 then on my old 89. That is for sure. Very noticable around town at lower speeds. But once on the highway's the noise is pretty well completly covered by wind, and road noise. So not really a problem.