IGNORED

FCC & cb radio frequency changes?

I heard a rumor this weekend that the FCC is doing changes to CB radio frequencies and if you don't do something by July 1, your radio won't work.

Has anybody heard of this? And if so, what can be done to your radio?

Guest tx2sturgis

Proposals are out there to modify and condense the current part 95 rules, with some possible limitations on beam antennas and of course amplifiers, but as far as I know, they would not suddenly make CB radios 'not work'.

GMRS and FRS radios might see some manufacturer changes, and possibly the elimination of the license requirement on GMRS, but this doesnt affect the millions of CBs out there.

Truck drivers and touring motorcyclists are probably gonna do what they have always done.

Its not something I would lose any sleep over. :happy34:

The FCC is requiring that certain VHF & UHF users narrowband , currently the band is 25mhz wide and they will go to 12.5 mhz wide to add more channels. This does not affect Marine or CB radio frequencies. If you are operating in the 150-174 mhz or the 421-512 you are under a mandate to narrowband by December 31st. This does effect alot of public safety and business radio but not CB or marine band radio's.

The FCC is requiring that certain VHF & UHF users narrowband , currently the band is 25mhz wide and they will go to 12.5 mhz wide to add more channels. This does not affect Marine or CB radio frequencies. If you are operating in the 150-174 mhz or the 421-512 you are under a mandate to narrowband by December 31st. This does effect alot of public safety and business radio but not CB or marine band radio's.

:sign yeah that:Our Fire Department is currently making changes to all our radios and repeater.

Digital or analog they must narrowband, digital is not better just different. With digital it converts the voice to packets of 0 or 1s, sends them on a stream and reassembles them on the other end. If it misses packets or has a weak signal or interference you will probably not have reception. With analog you will still receive the transmission but may not be able to make it out. We have had people go digital and decide to go back to analog. Narrowbanding just moves the frequency from a 25mhs band width to 12.5 mhz band width allowing other users to have the other 12.5mhz side. It's users are adding more technology and need a place to put it

Got to correct something, It's not 25 mhz to 12.5mhz, It's khz(kilohertz). A single 25 megahertz bandwidth signal would take out the entire vhf public service band.

Signal that wide might as well be spark gap.

Guest tx2sturgis

I recently was involved in the installation of, and currently use, a UHF narrowband radio repeater system in the commercial/community service. I also indirectly host the site BTW. (one of my other hats)

It works OK, but in the old days of 25k spacing, there seemed to be much less intermod and crosstalk problems. Oh well...the government. They are here to 'help' us.

I do know the complaints are a loss of range and penetration into structures after narrowbanding. I am sure if a frequency drifts a bit there will be bleed over or people exceeding their licenses. We operate 10 trunked channels in the 800mhz and we still see some bleeding from our friends to the north. That rebanding took place how many years ago???