IGNORED

need help

kwisor

hello all

my 99 rsv started to run bad today it acts like it is running out of fuel i have the a/m fuel pump i replaced the fuel filter last week. what it is doing when i cruse at 55 or 60 it acts like i am running out of fuel i hit the throdel and it takes off and runs fine them at cruse speed starts missing again like needs fuel any idea what to look at

thanks

bumble bee

Guest scarylarry

I'm lost then...Sure don't sound like a fuel pump and ypu replace filter..

Let one of the experts chime in here

it was running fine before i replaced the filter it was just time to replace it. and it has ran fine for the last week since i replaced it

bumble bee

Did you check your fuel line from the tank to the filter and from the filter to the carbs for leaks or kinks/pinches?

Guest scarylarry

Yes very much so and it was from a kink vent line...

Kaw did excellent job on taking care of me, over nighted a tank here and was put on the next day...One thing they would not let me keep the old tank...

What you are describing in not starving for fuel. If it is starving for fuel at cruise speed then when you throttle it it would just bog down and quit pulling. With a fuel starvation problem the more throttle the worse it will be. What you are describing is more like a flooding problem open throttle is more air to burn more fuel less throttle is less air. It sounds like you have a carb flooding not starving.

Edited by Redneck

There are a number of things that can cause what you are describing ranging from debris in a needle valve bad fuel water in fuel pluged circuits in the carbs ect. What I would do first is drain the carbs ( screw on the side of each carb at the bottom) open the drains a couple of turns and catch the fuel so you can check for water debris ect. With the carbs empty and the drains open turn on the key and let the fuel pump flush the carbs. A dose of sea foam or b12 may also help.