Just wondering, it was previously discussed in a prior thread on stator and rectifier problems

that the 2006 through current model has the highest output stator,equal to the upgraded models that are available as replacements. If that is so, they recommend that the wires be hard wired.Would cleaning and dialectric grease help prevent the bad connections that happen in these areas or would it somehow make it worse? I'm not having any problems right now, but was trying to do some preventative maintenance and save some time and money down the road. I don't want to have to hardwire until it is necessary.Also, what are some thoughts on replacing just the rectifier to one like SkyDoc17 sells. It is supposed to be better.but I'm not to good on electrical, and wish some one could explain it as simple as possible so hopefully I understand.If it would help,I would replace the original to get the most out of the system.Any thoughts or experience on this would be greatly appreciated

As I understand it, road wash hits the R/R unit on 2nd gens. Water and crud gets into the Plug.

Check this out, remove the plug, clean it with a good Electrical contact cleaner, and after re-installing it, Seal it with some kind of RTV, or Sealant of some type.

I know of at least 2 units that the Plug had to be hand rebuilt, which is not easy, to do.

Take good care of that plug, give it regular maintenance.

-----

If you ever pull off the left side cover, the Upgraded " Stator " would be a good upgrade.

Gives you a few Extra Amps of current, ( discuss the details on this with Sky Doc )

Also, consider replaceing battery with DEKA, AGM type battery. ( higher CCA then a stock lead acid battery )

I have also heard of some Stretched Wire Cables, around the steering yoke, can be a problem on these bikes, so check that area, for any Cable Damage, or Stretching , or wear.

Also, check the lower ends of the Batter heavy cables, for corrosiion !!! ( good thing to do )

And, of course, clean, EVERY Electrical Plug on the Entire Bike !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
As I understand it, road wash hits the R/R unit on 2nd gens. Water and crud gets into the Plug.

Check this out, remove the plug, clean it with a good Electrical contact cleaner, and after re-installing it, Seal it with some kind of RTV, or Sealant of some type.

I know of at least 2 units that the Plug had to be hand rebuilt, which is not easy, to do.

Take good care of that plug, give it regular maintenance.

-----

If you ever pull off the left side cover, the Upgraded " Stator " would be a good upgrade.

Gives you a few Extra Amps of current, ( discuss the details on this with Sky Doc )

Also, consider replaceing battery with DEKA, AGM type battery. ( higher CCA then a stock lead acid battery )

I have also heard of some Stretched Wire Cables, around the steering yoke, can be a problem on these bikes, so check that area, for any Cable Damage, or Stretching , or wear.

Also, check the lower ends of the Batter heavy cables, for corrosiion !!! ( good thing to do )

And, of course, clean, EVERY Electrical Plug on the Entire Bike !!!!

Where is this plug on the bike?

Thanks for the photos!

What do I have to remove from the bike in order to locate and actually fondle these connectors?:confused24: Do I need to remove the battery and battery box? Coolant over-flow bottle? Fuel pump? Loose nut behind the handle bars, etc?:whistling:

I will try this from my phone, remove right side cover and overflow tank look down low to your left and pull the hiding connectors they should be coated with a bunch of road grime

Thanks for the info! I finally found the plug thanks to your directions.:cool10: I wonder if Yamaha could have buried that connector any deeper in the bike.:stirthepot: