IGNORED

Driver's backrest removal

NetCam

I want to put a fleece on my set just to cushion it up a bit, but don't want to cut it more than I have to. The best way to accomplish this would be to remove the driver backrest, so all I would have to do is cut about a 1 1/2" square out of it, slide it over the post and replace the backrest. There is a small screw at the top of the post that I would have thought would allow me to slide off the backrest, but it's still on there pretty good. I don't want to break anything so I'm not forcing it. Is there something else I need to do in order to remove it? The bike is a 2001 Royal Star.

http://members.storm.ca/~cameron_antaya/ventureseat1.jpg

http://members.storm.ca/~cameron_antaya/ventureseat2.jpg

Edited by NetCam

You are working with the Corbin seat and backrest while I have a Utopia. Therefore, I may be wrong (just ask my wife).

If you swivel the backrest up, there should be 2 bolts that hold the backrest onto the post. This allows adjustment up/down by mounting it in different holes. Remove these two bolts and the backrest should come off.

A simple 2" slit in the sheepskin should slide right over the post. It did on mine.

RR

I believe if you remove the screw at the bottom of the shaft, which you have access to when you remove the seat, the square shaft that holds the backrest will slide out. See pics. I am not sure however if that will allow removal. I can check when I get home since my seat is not on the bike.

Attached Thumbnailsattachment.php?attachmentid=66307&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335149355 attachment.php?attachmentid=66308&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335149355

I'm guessing the Corbin and Utopia seats must be different as I can't find any other nuts/bolts/screws. It looks like the seat will have to come off to get at the post bolt from underneath. No big deal, I never put the rear bolt back in when I removed the seat to charge the battery after the winter anyways so it'll come off easy! :)

Are we talking RS Venture? The pictures I posted are from a Corbin seat off a RSV. I do not have a rear bolt. There are two nuts up front and slides into a place in the back when installing it. You remove the seat by taking the front two nuts off, and picking up on the front of the seat and sliding it forward.

I did also confirm that by removing that bolt I show in the pictures, from under the seat, the backrest slides out. You have to remove the seat.

Ex

I saw there there are 2 tiny springs in there that would have to be removed and re-attached. Thinking that they would be very difficult to get at given the size of the access hole. I'm just going to go with cutting a slit in the skin and use some velcro to close it up. Thanks for the tips everybody!