IGNORED

85 VR Tachometer "sluggish"

My tach works, but it's "slow" to respond, for lack of a better term. It doesn't respond to quick rpm changes, and once I get cruising in 5th gear it finally catches up to the engine after a couple minutes. Kinda weird symptoms. Anybody ever see this?

I did try to search threads but didn't see anything similar.

It is nothing that age could not cure.The movement in the speedo can run sluggish over time.Sometimes when they heat up they work better.You could try changing out your speedo for another one and see if you have the same result..

Hey Ray, he's not worried about the speedo just yet, it's the tach he has an issue with.

Probably will do well with a little lubrication, but I have not heard of anybody doing it so far. If you do go to lube it, do the speedo at the same time. Golf& Venture makes a good tool for the speedo, check it out: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=69034

Interesting. When I have time I will take the headlight and windshield out and investigate. I am learning fast that these bikes are very complicated! 07 Vulcan has F/I, electric speedo, no tach so I'm spoiled on maintenance. At least I am used to driving by "ear" so to speak re: engine speed. I see I have a LOT to learn. Thx for the replies.

Hey Ray, he's not worried about the speedo just yet, it's the tach he has an issue with.

Probably will do well with a little lubrication, but I have not heard of anybody doing it so far. If you do go to lube it, do the speedo at the same time. Golf& Venture makes a good tool for the speedo, check it out: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=69034

Had simular issue, tach 'sticks' at 0 or ~1500(in line with face plate screw)

First thought bent needle rubbing screw-NO

Then lube mechanix-NO help

Then quit responding at all-think lube on electronics DO NOT SUGGEST LUBE

Replaced and whole lot better, but rare occasion very late to 'warm up' off zero

Thought maybe problem with signal from TCI to BOTH tach and #2 coil.

Installed INGITEK TCI and new signal wire from dedicated tach output on TCI to the tach.

Have problem again this last weekend, stuck on zero until 'warmed up'

Next time I need to check for loss of volts or ground at the Tach!

Still trying to pin it down!!:bang head:

• 2 weeks later...
Had a similar problem with mine last year. Replaced fuse block and problem solved, along with a couple other problems.

I think you may be correct. Today I started it up and the tach worked perfectly, so I'm thinking intermittant electrical connection.