IGNORED

Exhaust removal for inspection

Hello All,

I’m looking for instructions for removing and inspecting the exhaust on an 05 RSTD. After installing a set of BUB slip-ons, my popping is more accentuated and I want to inspect the pipes for leaks and cracks. I have searched our site for a breakdown document but no luck.

Does the chrome come off separately from the pipes or as a unit?

Are there gaskets to replace once the pipes are removed?

I am assuming the pipes mount to a flange that insets into the head?

Thanks in advance.

Did you have popping with the stock exhaust?

The site has the complete Service manual in a pdf, I'll see if I can find the link.

The most common place for exhaust leak is the factory crimp on the y collector, there is one on each side. Mine leaks exhaust there, not a lot but you can feel it blow out on your hand. Some leak when they are brand new.

That being said, I don't have popping in my stock exhaust, even with those leaks.

I used to have a single pop on decel, I cured that going through the carbs and setting the floats per goose's write up.

Make sure your carbs are clean, floats properly set, carbs synced, etc. Removing the caps from the mixture screws and richening up the mixture should help some also.

Yes there are gaskets at each of the connections to the head. and packing where the mufflers slip on. You can look at the parts breakdown on Yamaha's website or a variety of yamaha online parts dealer.

Hopefully some others will be along.

RSTDdog

Thanks RSTDdog,

I had popping with stock exhaust but not as noticeable.

Synced the carbs and they're close. Not sure about how clean the carbs are. It's an 05 with 40,000. Occational Seafoam and had new needle valves at 20,000 due to ethenol reaction. Thought I would start with exhaust inspection for loose connection first.

I'm unclear on proper disassembly procedures for the exhaust.