I have trouble sometimes keeping my cruise on and what is happening is the wind will push the clutch lever just enough to disengage the cruise. If I hold the clutch leaver out everything works fine.

It feels like there should be a spring or at least a stronger spring in there to keep it out a tad more. Is there a way to make the lever stay out and not disengage the cruise. I had the handle apart and cannot find a spring so I'm guessing it is inside the housing.

The lever pushes the short pushrod into a rubber dust cover... under that is the small spring you asked about and then the pushrod contacts the master piston. Look for wear in the pivot bushing in the lever.

I replaced my pushrod and lever bushing and cured all ills.

I just checked mine as I have had a lot of looseness and the same problem with the cruise control. I was going to do the jb wel thing so when I removed the clutch I found my problem. The clutch lever bolt was broke just at the thread and shoulder section.

So now Im setting still as far as the bike goes. No clutch lever and that stinking bolt has to be orderd. $4 plus tax for one bolt and it'll take a week. Kinda sucks but I am glad I checked it in the drive. Could have been much worse . It could have happend on the road with no recorse except a regular bolt and take the cahnce of messing the clutch lever up.

David

Yup I had the same issue when I got my 84. I found four things that needed tending to.

First was a dent worn into the clutch handle by the button on the clutch switch. I built it up with some Alumaloy and filed off the rough spots and took care of that.

Second, the brass bushing was very worn. I built that up with Alumaloy as well. It's been holding up quite well ever since.

Third, the clutch switch didn't stay in place as securely as I thought it should and it wiggled to much. So I simply drilled and tapped a hole in the holder and installed a set-screw. Now it doesn't wiggle and is held firmly in place. Pic is a bit fuzzy though.

Fourth, the handle didn't fit in the holder as tightly as I liked, so I made a couple shims out of an aluminum can and slipped them in to take up the slack.

FYI, make sure you put the clutch push-rod put back in the right direction. When I got my bike the clutch would slip when in high gear. Then I found the push-rod put in backwards by the PO. It allowed just enough pressure to be excerted on the clutch to let it slip a bit. After flipping it around, it didn't slip nearly as much. Apparently I got to it to late. New disks and Barnett clutch springs, and good as gold.

Almost 40,000 miles later and no problems since.

Hope some of this helps,

Bill

Edited by a1bummer