IGNORED

Electrical question on an 84

All my lights work except the headlight? I bought the bike in pieces, I was told by the previous owner that they tore it apart trying to get the headlight working. I reassembled it and it runs great. The led goes through its checklist and everything checks out fine. I have power to and from the fusebox, but no headlight. I went to the harness behind the headlight and fed the system from there on a toggle switch with a fuse and it works fine, high and low beam. I can probably ride it forever like this but I would still like to find the problem and return it to the stock setup. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray.

1. Headlight circuit cuts out at the start pushbutton switch. Known problem these contacts dirty and do not make contact when switch released.-easy to clean

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43027

2.Headlight circuit runs THRU the CMS computer dispaly to monitior for headlight failure. known problem with broken solder joints internal the CMS-easy fix, once you get it out reflow solder joints

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33328

Edited by bkuhr
added links

The reserve lighting unit (RLU) could be bad also.

Does the white light on the dash light up (Headlamp)? Is there a good bulb in this indicator. This is the warning light that the RLU has detected a problem with the lighting.

It is a black unit about 4" x 2 1/2" x 1". Has an 8 conductor cable running into it. It sets behind the headlight with the relays.

I probably have a spare if you want one.

Here is a link to the wiring diagrams that are on this site.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42384

Gary

The white lamp lights up when I use the toggle to turn the headlight on. I pulled the display and found no bad solderings, but I re-soldered them anyway. I have found from pics of others bikes and ebay ads that someone has changed the right hand controls, upon disassembling them I found they only have one set of contacts in the start switch. I'm now thinking this is most likely the problem and will order a set of originals off ebay. Thanks for all the help. Ray

The white lamp lights up when I use the toggle to turn the headlight on. I pulled the display and found no bad solderings, but I re-soldered them anyway. I have found from pics of others bikes and ebay ads that someone has changed the right hand controls, upon disassembling them I found they only have one set of contacts in the start switch. I'm now thinking this is most likely the problem and will order a set of originals off ebay. Thanks for all the help. Ray

If your bike does not have cruise control, I have a throttle side switch. It's probably the one I cleaned when I made the write up linked above in 2nd post.

Also have a clutch side switch. And the RLU.

PM me if you still need them.

Gary