IGNORED

Halogen or sealed beam running lights?

Steve O,

I put a set of Kuryakyn Silver Bullet halogen driving lights on my '03 Venture when I bought it a about 3 1/2 years ago. It didn't come with the usual passing lamps so I put the Silver Bullets on instead. I mounted them on the bottom of the crash bars with P clamps. They really light up the road at night, and since they're close to the ground you get good light from close up to far down the road. And of course you can aim them wherever you want.

What I like about them best is because of where I have them mounted, oncoming cars see three brignt lights in a large triangle with the headlight in the top center and the two running lights maybe a foot off the road and a good 3 1/2 feet apart. To me they're much more noticeable than a headlight with traditional passing lamps right next it.

I put about 40,000 miles on them in 3 years on my old venture and took them off just before I sold it and got my '06 Midnight Venture. I put them right on the '06 and have put about 4000 more miles on them in the last few months. I use them continuously, day and night, so they have a lot of hours on them.

Only problem I have had was a couple of months ago when the right one quit working. I bought a new halogen bulb (from Home Depot and they're cheap!). Put in the new bulb and it didn't work either. Sprayed in some WD 40 and cleaned the socket a little and put the old bulb back in. Works good as new. So I now have about 44,000 miles on them with the original bulbs and they're still going strong. :fingers-crossed-emo

The whole setup was about $140 at JP cycles. I did use a Kurakyn accessory lighting switch and wired it to the battery with an inline fuse. It mounts to the top of the front brake master cylinder and looks factory. I wired it to the battery because 1, that way I didn't have to mess with the factory wiring and whether there would be too much load on the factory circuit, and 2, I'm a dunce when it comes to wiring. :rotf:

Anyway, it works great for me. I get a lot of comments from other bikers about how well they can see me too.

Ride Safe!

1/2 crazed

Steve O,

I put a set of Kuryakyn Silver Bullet halogen driving lights on my '03 Venture when I .....

Anyway, it works great for me. I get a lot of comments from other bikers about how well they can see me too.

Do you have them wired to be on all the time or do you have a switch? My RSTD doesn't have a crash bar to mount them. But K makes a light bar for them....

I have them wired with an accessory switch that I turn on and off. I just automatically turn them on whenever I'm on the bike. It's a Kurakyn also, and mounts right on top of the front brake master cylinder so it's a real clean install. It has 3 switches on it. I have my driving lights on one. On one of the others I have some rear and side LED runnings lights and some extra bright white LED stick on lights (a flexible strip) that I stuck under the frame to light up the road underneath me at night.

I commute home every night on I-4 in north Orlando, which is a death trap. The white LEDs underneath don't help me see ahead of course, but are very noticeable from the side and rear.

Let me know if you have any more questions or want specific info.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazed

Edited by 1/2crazedbikr
Posted accidently before finished

I have read a number of posts discussing about how the light bars draw so much power etc.. Wouldn't LED's solve this issue? Am I correct that LED's draw far less power?

I want to get the back of my bike noticeable to the 4-wheelers.

Any suggestions?

1984 VR

Anyone in Ontario Canada get a good deal on chroming?