IGNORED

Removing exhaust system 1983 1300

Kernal

Okay, on my '84 Venture the last owner had a mess of an exhaust that could not allow the centerstand to be put back on because he wanted it to be "tougher" with louder sound. Blagh to that. So I have a parts bike with the original exhaust coming from a 1300, mine is 1200, I have read they are the same.

The real problem is getting it off the '83 1300. I have it unbolted from the front and from the rear, but I am missing something as it seems to be suspended in the middle. I can rock it back and forth. So what am I missing that I can't see?

With my luck it is something simple, I hope.:think:

Steve

Okay, on my '84 Venture the last owner had a mess of an exhaust that could not allow the centerstand to be put back on because he wanted it to be "tougher" with louder sound. Blagh to that. So I have a parts bike with the original exhaust coming from a 1300, mine is 1200, I have read they are the same.

The real problem is getting it off the '83 1300. I have it unbolted from the front and from the rear, but I am missing something as it seems to be suspended in the middle. I can rock it back and forth. So what am I missing that I can't see?

With my luck it is something simple, I hope.:think:

Steve

If it has the original collector then there are bolts front and rear.

Both are pretty easy to get at with a decent flashlight and socket extensions. I was expecting (from all the accounts) it to be hard to remove the collector, but it came off in a few minutes.

There are 2 bolts that hold the collector to the motor block towards rear.

I attached a picture showing stock collector along side a Marks header.

Two holes are seen on top side of collector, behind where rear exhausts attach.

Gary

marks collector 1.jpg

the collector is there how far do I tear apart to get to those bolts?

The bolts can be gotten to with nothing else removed. I would put bike on center stand and get a 12mm socket & 6" extension. The are a PIA to locate, even if you know where they are. You can't see them without a mirror.

Gary

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I was taking it off the parts bike, I layed it down and found them. Easy off, the nuts that is. Took awhile to get them off the rear header pipes. Also, getting the rear headers out from the bike was not easy either.

Now that the puzzle is apart, need to put it together on the other bike. The collector is on already, now for the rest of the pipes.

Thanks again.

Steve

Have somebody help you lay the bike on its side and it will be quite obvious at that point.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I was taking it off the parts bike, I layed it down and found them. Easy off, the nuts that is. Took awhile to get them off the rear header pipes. Also, getting the rear headers out from the bike was not easy either.

Steve

So, what did I win? :D

Now that the puzzle is apart, need to put it together on the other bike. The collector is on already, now for the rest of the pipes.

Thanks again.

Steve

FWIW: do not install the collector and expect to insert the pipes. This job either sucks or is a breeze. I've done it twice and the first time was a nightmare. Install the downpipes and work the collector up onto them. If you have an airdam make sure the front headers are lined up as well since you will have a hard time lining them up with everything already together. Enjoy! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: