IGNORED

Fuel/gas filter alternative

Is there an alternative to the OEM Yamaha gas filter 1FK-24560-10 That can be used in the stock holder?

They have less expensive filters at Autozone & advanced Auto (like the ones I buy for my beetle),

but does anyone know what application would fit the holder?

http://www.bikergarage101.com/media/00/a20791f12fec63c7847cbc_m.JPG

Also what size diameter inlets are they 5/16 (ok 8 mm)?

:sign yeah that:

Yep, those will work. I used to by mine at a local independent bike shop for about $4.00.

Two years ago I changed over to a metal housing one with the glass cartridge and replaceable filter screens. It was a bit smaller than the OEM's but I wrapped it in section of rubber from an inner tube and cut slots in it so I could see though the glass and still use the original bracket. Works out pretty well as I don't have to mess with the clamps on the bracket any more. Just unscrew the end and swap the filter. About $12.00 bucks for that.

Mike

:sign yeah that:

Yep, those will work. I used to by mine at a local independent bike shop for about $4.00.

Two years ago I changed over to a metal housing one with the glass cartridge and replaceable filter screens. It was a bit smaller than the OEM's but I wrapped it in section of rubber from an inner tube and cut slots in it so I could see though the glass and still use the original bracket. Works out pretty well as I don't have to mess with the clamps on the bracket any more. Just unscrew the end and swap the filter. About $12.00 bucks for that.

Mike

FYI, Our ventrues are old and unless you used a sealer, all fuel tanks have some rust. I searched for better filters too...I found the stock style paper filter is much better at getting the small bits out of the fuel system. Paper filters are denser and just simply better. If Napa and others make one that looks OEM and fits...great.

FYI, Our ventrues are old and unless you used a sealer, all fuel tanks have some rust. I searched for better filters too...I found the stock style paper filter is much better at getting the small bits out of the fuel system. Paper filters are denser and just simply better. If Napa and others make one that looks OEM and fits...great.

Jasonm has a good point. In my case I have treated my tank with Caswells Epoxy Sealer and replaced the pick up filters on the petcock along with every fuel line.

My point is I can very quickly and clearly see any particals settling into the glass cartridge. With the OEM and others you only find you have a problem when the fuel quits flowing.